Author Topic: PM not retaining Stationary Pad  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Patrick McPartland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM not retaining Stationary Pad
« on: June 15, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »
All the information I am writing in the Stationary Pad is not being retained in the image when I copy or save through PhotoMechanic. When I open the image in PhotoShop CC 2017 the information is gone too. I did update to the newest version of PM and PhotoShop recently.

Also, an older version of PhotoMechanic, on another computer, is working just fine with PhotoShop CC 2017. Any thoughts? My perfect workflow is ruined.

- Pat

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM not retaining Stationary Pad
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:13:40 AM »
Pat,

All the information I am writing in the Stationary Pad is not being retained in the image when I copy or save through PhotoMechanic. When I open the image in PhotoShop CC 2017 the information is gone too. I did update to the newest version of PM and PhotoShop recently.

Also, an older version of PhotoMechanic, on another computer, is working just fine with PhotoShop CC 2017. Any thoughts? My perfect workflow is ruined.

If you open up the IPTC Stationery Pad from the Image menu and make changes and then close the dialog, do the changes stick?  If you reopen the IPTC Stationery Pad, are your changes there?

Can you post a screen shot of your IPTC/XMP Preferences?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
Opening the Pad from Image menu = changes stick. Reopen Pad = changes are there.
Screen shot attached.
The info disappears whenever I move/copy, save or open image inn PS.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »
Patrick,

Opening the Pad from Image menu = changes stick. Reopen Pad = changes are there.
Screen shot attached.
The info disappears whenever I move/copy, save or open image inn PS.

How are you moving/copying?  What is the file format of the images?

If you apply the IPTC Stationery Pad to images in your contact sheet, do the changes stick?

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
I'm using the move/copy and save commands in PhotoMechanic. Images are all .jpg/.JPG.
1. I save an images into a Archive folder. I open that folder in a contact sheet. Select the image, open Stationary Pad where I add my caption, copyright, etc... Click OK. 
2. I select the same image and choose Copy (Command Y). Select a destination folder and click Copy or Move. I open a contact sheet of the destination folder and none of the caption, copyright, etc... is there. All fields are blank. Same thing happens if I choose Save (Command S).
3. I select an image in the Archive folder and choose to Edit (Command E). It opens in PhotoShop, but when I check File Info in PhotoShop, all the fields are blank too.
Puzzling huh?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 12:13:15 PM »
Patrick,

I'm using the move/copy and save commands in PhotoMechanic. Images are all .jpg/.JPG.
1. I save an images into a Archive folder. I open that folder in a contact sheet. Select the image, open Stationary Pad where I add my caption, copyright, etc... Click OK. 
2. I select the same image and choose Copy (Command Y). Select a destination folder and click Copy or Move. I open a contact sheet of the destination folder and none of the caption, copyright, etc... is there. All fields are blank. Same thing happens if I choose Save (Command S).

And you're applying the IPTC Stationery Pad in each of those features and you've verified that the IPTC Stationery Pad still contains your data?

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:33:30 PM »
Well I feel stupid. I thought I had run test with the Apply IPTC selected on and off and it had not worked. I just tested 4 photos. Copied and Saved making sure the Applied IPTC was checked. It worked.
But. The original photo that I captioned in Stationary Pad comes up blank when I open it in PhotoShop. The caption is there in Stationary Pad when I view it in PhotoMechanic, but gone when opened in PhotoShop.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 12:47:38 PM »
More data. I just shut everything down and restarted my computer. Opened PM and the images in the Archive folder, the original images, have no IPTC fields filled. They are all blank now. The images I Copied or Saved still do have the IPTC fields filled in.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »
More data. The Archive folder I've been using is a shared folder over a Mac to Mac Shared network. I saved the original image in a folder on my computer's hard drive, captioned it in Stationary Pad and opened it in PhotoShop. The caption showed up this time.
I think some how the Stationary Pad fields were not transferring to the shared folder. They were somewhere else (most likely on my computer) so when PhotoShop opened the image from the shared folder, the Stationary Pad info was not there or saved into the image.
Make any sense?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »
You are using the IPTC Info dialog and not the IPTC Stationery Pad to check on the metadata stored in individual files, correct?

The IPTC Stationery Pad dialog only ever shows the contents of the IPTC Stationery data and not the data of any particular image.

Now, that said, it sounds like you're confused as to what images you're editing in PM and which images you're editing in PS and that there are duplicate images.  One set has your metadata changes and one set does not.

-Kirk