Author Topic: preview thumbnail for Affinity Photo images ending in .afphoto  (Read 8536 times)

Offline mcasan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
When I browse a folder of raw images, PM shows we a preview thumbnail.   When it comes to an image processed in Affinity Photo, no preview is presented.   MacOS Finder does show a preview of the Affinity Photo images.    If Finder can, PM should be able to do so.

Can we get an update so that PM will show a preview thumbnail for Affinity Photo images in the same way it does for raw files, TIF files and others?

I am one of many who have left Adobe CC for Affinity Photo.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:54:19 AM by mcasan »
Olympus E-M1 II & Pro lenses

Offline tuxster

• Newcomer
  • Just an old man with a camera
    • View Profile
Re: preview thumbnail for Affinity Photo images ending in .afphoto
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:05:14 PM »
When can PM be able to view afphoto files.

Thx

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »
It is not likely that PM will ever be able to view afphoto files unless the file format is publicly documented or the developers provide a library to render them.  The reason macOS can provide a preview is because the developers created and installed a QuickLook plugin for the Finder.

-Kirk

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 04:38:46 AM »
@macasan,
Just curious, what is the benefit of using .afphoto files? they seem to be enormous. +200Mb

best
Stef

Offline tilmann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 12:35:52 PM »
Kirk, this is a feature I am eagerly hoping for as well. Is there a way, you guys can take advantage of the finder plug-in to display an aphoto file thumbnail in PM?
Thanks,
Tilmann

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 06:42:40 PM »
Tilmann,

Kirk, this is a feature I am eagerly hoping for as well. Is there a way, you guys can take advantage of the finder plug-in to display an aphoto file thumbnail in PM?

That may be possible if we could make the plug-in think it was being run by the Finder.  I have no idea how feasible that is though.

-Kirk

Offline OldRadioGuy

• Retired broadcast journalist/educator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:20:01 AM »
Tilmann,

That may be possible if we could make the plug-in think it was being run by the Finder.  I have no idea how feasible that is though.

-Kirk

The free browser, XnViewMP, displays the thumbnail for .afphoto files (checked with images created by Affinity Photo 1.6.8 (beta). I hope you'll take a look at the feasibility of providing the thumbnail. Would be much better than now having to launch from the PM generic thumbnail to determine the image content.

Maybe there are enough PM users who have switched to Photo Mechanic to justify devoting some time to follow up on this.

Bob
-------------
Olympus E-M1 Mark III, Olympus PEN-F