Author Topic: Files with zero kb after ingest  (Read 2760 times)

Offline nuoptik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Files with zero kb after ingest
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
Hi,

Last week I discovered that one of my cards imported files with zero kb.  They were Canon RAW's and appear in the folder on my computer but they have zero kb and won't open.  Unfortunately i didn't discover this until after I had formatted and reshot the cards (i managed to pull about 250 of the 750 odd files off them with some recovery software, so it could have been worse).

I ported this on a photographer forum and had a couple of people say it had also happened to them.  I have strengthened my import procedure to try to avoid losing images again, but does anyone why this happened?  I want to avoid it happening again, obviously.

I have a lexar pro card reader with several slots and quit often ingest several cards at a a time.

Running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18610 (2882482) - though i may have upgraded since the ingest happened so not sure what it was at the time.  Also running MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 (16F73)

Thanks for looking.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Files with zero kb after ingest
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 11:47:27 AM »
Last week I discovered that one of my cards imported files with zero kb.  They were Canon RAW's and appear in the folder on my computer but they have zero kb and won't open.  Unfortunately i didn't discover this until after I had formatted and reshot the cards (i managed to pull about 250 of the 750 odd files off them with some recovery software, so it could have been worse).

I ported this on a photographer forum and had a couple of people say it had also happened to them.  I have strengthened my import procedure to try to avoid losing images again, but does anyone why this happened?  I want to avoid it happening again, obviously.

I have a lexar pro card reader with several slots and quit often ingest several cards at a a time.

If you viewed the card with the Finder, did the files show as having no data too?

-Kirk

Offline nuoptik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 04:42:02 AM »
Yes Kirk. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »
Yes Kirk.

I would be wary of continuing to use that card then.

-Kirk