Author Topic: Trial keeps hanging  (Read 12210 times)

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
Trial keeps hanging
« on: March 14, 2007, 12:17:32 PM »
This is probably one of those problems that will be impossible to get to the bottom of, but here goes....

I've loaded up the trial version of PM (4.4.3.3) on my Win XP Home SP2 box, and it keeps hanging on me (hourglass icon / not responding / have to kill it).... a LOT. 

I have a folder of NEFs on my Desktop (for testing purposes), and I select that folder on startup of PM.  I then double click on a thumb to go to the preview, and then just scroll up and down through the images, perhaps click on a thumb at the bottom to select it in the preview pane, and that's about it, nothing clever.  Then I double click on the preview to return to the thumbs view, and I get the eternal hourglass, no response, and I have to kill the process.  Pretty much happens happens every time I return to the thumbs screen.

Any ideas?

Other system info: Dell Dimension 5000, P4 CPU 3 GHz, 1.5 Gig RAM.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Trial keeps hanging
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 12:43:23 PM »
Mike,

This is probably one of those problems that will be impossible to get to the bottom of, but here goes....

I've loaded up the trial version of PM (4.4.3.3) on my Win XP Home SP2 box, and it keeps hanging on me (hourglass icon / not responding / have to kill it).... a LOT. 

I have a folder of NEFs on my Desktop (for testing purposes), and I select that folder on startup of PM.  I then double click on a thumb to go to the preview, and then just scroll up and down through the images, perhaps click on a thumb at the bottom to select it in the preview pane, and that's about it, nothing clever.  Then I double click on the preview to return to the thumbs view, and I get the eternal hourglass, no response, and I have to kill the process.  Pretty much happens happens every time I return to the thumbs screen.

Any ideas?

Other system info: Dell Dimension 5000, P4 CPU 3 GHz, 1.5 Gig RAM.

Try typing the Escape key to exit instead.  Let me know if this helps.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:56:46 PM »
Hi Kirk

Thanks for the reply.  I tried escaping back to the thumbs screen instead, with much the same result.  It doesn't happen every time, but often enough.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 02:44:29 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  I tried escaping back to the thumbs screen instead, with much the same result.  It doesn't happen every time, but often enough.

It turns out that the support guys have heard of this issue.   Please contact them at 503-531-8430.  It doesn't matter that you are just trying out Photo Mechanic.  Call them and they'll get you squared away.  Mention your posting on the forums.

-Kirk

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 03:37:19 PM »
Hi Mike,

We have had several calls with this problem. The solution is to reset the Photo Mechanic registry keys. It would be best to call us so we can walk you through the process. Once the registry keys have been reset, you will need to reset the path to the Photoshop application in the preferences as well as any other changes you might have made.  If you have generated any IPTC field lists, then those should be exported to a disk file before resetting the registry keys. Call us at 1-503-531-8430 between 9AM and 5PM pacific time. We should have you up and running in about 10 minutes.

--Bob

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 02:51:52 AM »
Kirk, Bob,

Thanks.  Seeing as this is a known problem, is it a known problem that can be addressed in an update, or is it only fixable by the user themselves editing the registry?  Personally, I think it would be more helpful to more people to have the steps written down to follow; but anyway I'll give you a call.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 07:13:58 AM »
For what it's worth, this wasn't the issue on my system.  Bob very helpfully took me through some attempted solutions, but nothing seemed to prevent photo mechanic from locking up on me after only a few seconds of operation (in thumbnail mode).  The 4.5 beta didn't help either.  It turns out that the most recent version I can run with stability on my system is 4.3.8.

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 08:32:08 AM »
Mike,

For what it's worth, this wasn't the issue on my system.  Bob very helpfully took me through some attempted solutions, but nothing seemed to prevent photo mechanic from locking up on me after only a few seconds of operation (in thumbnail mode).  The 4.5 beta didn't help either.  It turns out that the most recent version I can run with stability on my system is 4.3.8.

I'm sorry to hear that.  After 4.5 goes final, if you're interested, we can look further into why PM 4.5 does not run properly on your system.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the Navigator since that is the major change between 4.3.x and 4.4.x.x-4.5.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 08:40:58 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Yep, I'd certainly be interested and willing to help identify the issue once 4.5 is out the door.

Mike