Author Topic: Auto Rotation  (Read 8385 times)

Offline zhpenn

• View Profile
Auto Rotation
« on: June 27, 2017, 09:27:26 PM »
Sometimes I shoot from top to ground, forgot to turn the auto rotation on the cam, when import to mac, some image is rotate upside down, some are rotated left , some are rotated right.
I need to connect manually, is there a function that can make all image rotation off, then I re-rotate again manually for all image from only one direction, instead of one by one correction difference direction? thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Auto Rotation
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 10:09:15 PM »
Not sure I understand.  You've got images that are shot in different camera orientations, yet the camera wrote out the EXIF orientation tag as not rotated, but you want PM to visually figure out which ones should be rotated and then rotate them for you?  Did I get that correct or am I still misunderstanding what you've described?

-Kirk

Offline zhpenn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:29:36 AM »
Hi Kirk,
sorry for the misunderstanding, I mean, shoot by one camera, the camera wrote out the EXIF orientation tag as rotated, but the rotation direction is actually wrong, some are left side , some are right side, I want an option to set a group of photo as no roated, or emtpy the rotation infomation. so I can set the right direction mannually at once.

Offline zhpenn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 06:36:29 AM »
because if the CAM set to auto rotates, then if I  point the CAMERA to the ground, the photos will come out as random direction, which is very annoying

also is it possible let PM to visually figure out which ones should be rotated and then rotate them?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:09:22 AM »
sorry for the misunderstanding, I mean, shoot by one camera, the camera wrote out the EXIF orientation tag as rotated, but the rotation direction is actually wrong, some are left side , some are right side, I want an option to set a group of photo as no roated, or emtpy the rotation infomation. so I can set the right direction mannually at once.

OK, so what you're describing would be a two step process: 1) Strip orientation info. 2) Rotate one or more times (CW or CCW) to get the correct orientation.

Since PM can already rotate a group of images, why not simply select the ones that need the same rotation change and just fix them?  Why is there a need to strip the orientation first?  The only time having a strip orientation feature would be a win (as far as steps go) is when stripping the orientation fixes the orientation problem directly.  Otherwise, if the image still needs rotation after the strip, the number of steps is the same as rotating twice.

also is it possible let PM to visually figure out which ones should be rotated and then rotate them?

Not without adding a fairly sophisticated AI that would analyze the images (we don't have that technology, and it would not likely be very fast either).

-Kirk
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:27:11 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline zhpenn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 05:02:09 AM »
Sorry, I still did not make it clear, I shoot vertically to the ground, all images was taken in the same direction, but sometimes I forgot to turn off the auto rotate on the camera setting. because I shoot vertically, the camera sensor will sometimes misunderstand my direction, which make all the image I have taken some are turn left, some are turn right.

because everytime I shoot can be 1000 images, but if once I forgot to turn off the auto-rotate on camera, after a hour shoot, that's already 1000+ images, in there can be 200 images turning left, 300 turning right, and these images appear alternately, eg, first 2 images left, next 3 images in right direction, the  next few image left again, and so on.

imaging you need to pick about 200+ the left-turned image(they are not Continuous) from 1000 images  by clicking mouse one by one to turn it to the right direction, that would be very painful, this can an take 15+ mins

what if, I turn off the auto-rotate on camera(OR Strip orientation info on PC when I forgot to turn it off on camera), all the images are now all in ONE direction, I only need to select all, then turn it to the correction by click the command + ] or Command +[. one or two times, this only take me few seconds

plz take a look at the attachment
 this is an example shows that, if I take photo of things that put on the ground from the bird view angle and the camera auto-rotate function turns ON. when the camera sensor can not detect  the correction direction this mess will happen

how can we turn all the arrows in the same direction easily?
 this is only about 50 images,what if it there are 1000 images
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 05:20:13 AM by zhpenn »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 05:34:34 AM »
How do you envision PM determining the direction of the rotation for you? Without advanced image analysis (Artificial Intelligence), this will not be possible, and that is not something that I think will be addd to PM.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 11:22:30 AM »
How do you envision PM determining the direction of the rotation for you? Without advanced image analysis (Artificial Intelligence), this will not be possible, and that is not something that I think will be addd to PM.

I think what he wants is for the orientation tag to be set to no rotation.  From what he's describing, simply setting them to no rotation will correct the great majority of the photos.

I'm not sure if we'll add such a feature, but I expect that ExifTool would be up to the task.

-Kirk