Author Topic: searching for blank IPTC fields  (Read 4145 times)

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
searching for blank IPTC fields
« on: April 08, 2010, 12:31:15 PM »
I have used variables and sub-strings and code replacements to take a part of the fielname and enter information into the caption IPTC field. Now I would like to find the images that have a blank caption field so that I can add these codes to the code replacement file. Can you search for images that a blank in a specific IPTC field?

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.3 and I run Mac OS X 10.5.8 on my duel G5-based Mac.
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: searching for blank IPTC fields
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »
I have used variables and sub-strings and code replacements to take a part of the fielname and enter information into the caption IPTC field. Now I would like to find the images that have a blank caption field so that I can add these codes to the code replacement file. Can you search for images that a blank in a specific IPTC field?

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.3 and I run Mac OS X 10.5.8 on my duel G5-based Mac.

You can do a Find (but not a Search) with a blank find string, searching the IPTC data of only the Caption field.  All images in the current Contact Sheet with a blank Caption field will be selected when the Find completes.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:02:29 PM »
Apart from the find command Kirk suggested, what I usually do when I want to do something similar to what you are trying to achieve here is use a custom sort.

In your case, I would create a custom sort, sorting on "{caption}" and then all the files without a caption would be the first ones on the contact sheet. It helps if you have {caption} as (one of the) label(s) showing on the contact sheet in this case as well.

Either method should allow you to quickly identify the ones needing your attention.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »
Many thanks!
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 01:26:37 AM »
Hayo I just used your work around to find blank fields and it works a treat. Thanks for the tip.  :)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 02:07:54 AM »
Great to hear this 7 year old trick still helps out :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl