Author Topic: Problems appending metadata  (Read 2479 times)

Offline martink

• View Profile
Problems appending metadata
« on: July 12, 2017, 05:02:00 AM »
I am using PM5 (having upgraded from 4.6 when all worked well) and having some problems with Appending or Prepending metadata in the Description / Caption field. 
I have an image with some metadata (which I have added in PM) in the IPTC Info Description/Caption field.
I also used the Stationery Pad which has a sentence in the Description Caption field, the box next to Description / Caption ticked, and the box below selected as Append. I have saved that as an XMP file (attached).
I am hoping that when I open the image's IPTC Info that I can load the saved XMP file, and the metadata from the saved XMP file will appear after the metadata that was originally with the image.  It appears only to overwrite it.
Have I missed something out?
Many thanks for your help.
Martin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problems appending metadata
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »
Martin,

I am using PM5 (having upgraded from 4.6 when all worked well) and having some problems with Appending or Prepending metadata in the Description / Caption field. 
I have an image with some metadata (which I have added in PM) in the IPTC Info Description/Caption field.
I also used the Stationery Pad which has a sentence in the Description Caption field, the box next to Description / Caption ticked, and the box below selected as Append. I have saved that as an XMP file (attached).
I am hoping that when I open the image's IPTC Info that I can load the saved XMP file, and the metadata from the saved XMP file will appear after the metadata that was originally with the image.  It appears only to overwrite it.
Have I missed something out?

You have to apply the IPTC Stationery Pad to get the data appended.  Loading XMP in the IPTC Info dialog replaces the contents of all fields with the metadata in the XMP file.

-Kirk

Offline martink

• View Profile
Re: Problems appending metadata
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 08:20:43 AM »
I did discover that route, but it did not seem as quick or as elegant as the one that worked so well in 4.6.
Many thanks for your speedy help.
Martin