Author Topic: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta comments  (Read 121495 times)

Offline Andrew MacKay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Keaphotos.com
Re: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta comments
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2006, 11:57:31 PM »
Kirk, is there and way of setting the watermark offset, It's a little too far off the edge of the image for my liking ... could this be user configurable ?

Other wise it all looks good on XP, I'll try it on the latest Vista build in the next day or so

There is no way to set the offset.  How would you want to specify the offset?  Pixels, inches/cms?

-Kirk

Pixels please Kirk

Offline humnicky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2006, 04:58:06 AM »
Please try out the new Watermarking options in the various output dialogs:

Print Proofs
Save As
Send Photos via email
HTML Export
FTP As
PhotoShelter upload

Let us know how it works for you.  Note that on the Mac version, the preview really only is capable of showing the font style, size and opacity.  Bold, Italic, and Drop shadow do not always work.  I will eventually add a preview for both Mac and Windows that will be fairly accurate.

-Kirk

Kirk-

I have done test runs of Save As, Email and HTML Export and the watermark feature works great. I have not tried the other processes as I don't use them in my normal workflows and I don't have FTP or PhotoShelter accounts to test on.

This are great additions to PM! At least for me.
Phil Humnicky
Univ Photographer-Georgetown Univ
Nikon D2X
MacPro Tower
15" MacBook Pro 2.53 Core 2 Duo

Offline BillyDix

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2006, 05:34:01 AM »
Burned my first CD in PM. Everything looked good.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2006, 06:57:25 AM »
Quote from: Kirk Baker
Quote from: RobertE
When I use this option PM doesn't give me an option to name the subfolder, and it just creates one called "New Folder". I then have to rename the subfolder.

It should be created, selected and set to rename (you just start typing) and when you hit return the name is accepted.
It isn't. Right-click > Photo Mechanic > New Folder > type name, and nothing appears to happen. I have to select the folder and hit Refresh (F5) for the new folder to appear. I tried typing a folder name but PM always makes it "New Folder".

I was able to reproduce this.  I will look into getting it fixed.

If I delete folders they remain in the Navigator. I need to do a refresh (F5).
How are you deleting the folders?  A set of steps would be helpful.
Right-click the folder in Navigator > Delete, and the folder still appears there. Hit Refresh and it disappears.

For me, it asks if I want to move the folder to the Recycle bin.  I hit return ("Yes" is default), then a progress dialog appears for a moment and then the Navigator refreshes and the folder I deleted is gone.

What does it do for you?

-Kirk

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2006, 07:10:44 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Right-click the folder in Navigator > Delete, and the folder still appears there. Hit Refresh and it disappears.

For me, it asks if I want to move the folder to the Recycle bin.  I hit return ("Yes" is default), then a progress dialog appears for a moment and then the Navigator refreshes and the folder I deleted is gone.

What does it do for you?

As mentioned, the deleted folder still appears in the Navigator until I hit refresh. The Navigator doesn't refresh after the deletion. Is there a preference somewhere for folder refresh that I may have accidently set?

-- Robert.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2006, 07:46:34 AM »

What does it do for you?
As mentioned, the deleted folder still appears in the Navigator until I hit refresh. The Navigator doesn't refresh after the deletion. Is there a preference somewhere for folder refresh that I may have accidently set?

There is an option to turn Auto refresh off on the Photo Mechanic contextual submenu, but the effect only lasts for the duration of the current session.

Do you see the Navigator redraw at all when you delete a folder, or does it not change at all?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline AllanSchroeder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2006, 08:11:03 AM »
Photoshelter upload works great, thanks. The save as command is a nice addition when working with RAW files.

It would be nice for the watermark feature if you could use a jpg logo you had previously designed.

Offline Grover

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • PhotoShelter
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2006, 08:50:45 AM »
All you folks who have PhotoShelter accounts:

Please test the new PhotoShelter upload feature and let us know what you think.

Thanks,

-Kirk

PhotoShelter upload works great, amazing feature.  I noticed you can only upload to the Archive, and can make public which is great, but one thing I'd like to be able to do is price the images as well.  In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to upload to a NEW archive, move it to a NEW gallery (or existing) and price it with an existing Pricing Profile. 

Right now I need to login, create a new Archive in a web browser, then upload to it in PM, then go back to the browser to price/move to a gallery.

Thanks,

-Jason

Hi Jason - that additional PhotoShelter Upload functionality you're talking about is a great idea... but I wanted to make sure you knew that you don't have to log into PhotoShelter in order to create a new Archive folder. You can do that right inside of Photo Mechanic simply by entering the name of the new Archive folder in the "Destination album" field.

-- Grover

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2006, 09:13:53 AM »
Photoshelter upload works great, thanks. The save as command is a nice addition when working with RAW files.

It would be nice for the watermark feature if you could use a jpg logo you had previously designed.

JPEGs can't have an alpha channel, so if we were to alpha blend the logo onto the photo, all of the pixels in the JPEG would have the same transparency level, which I don't think would look so good.  We could support TIFF images with alpha in the future.  Also, just using an image leaves you without the ability to mine the metadata in your photos in order to customize the watermark...

-Kirk

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2006, 10:25:05 AM »
Hi Kirk,

What does it do for you?

There is an option to turn Auto refresh off on the Photo Mechanic contextual submenu, but the effect only lasts for the duration of the current session.

Do you see the Navigator redraw at all when you delete a folder, or does it not change at all?

The Navigator does not change at all. Five minutes after deleting the folder it still displays in the Navigator. I tried toggling the auto-refresh without any success.

-- Robert.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2006, 10:46:41 AM »
Have you had time to add the "folder number" as a variable. You and I discussed this on the RG forum, but I can't see the dicusssion right now becuase they are closed.  I seem to remember you saying that it would be implemented "soon".

If the folders are named
106ND2HS and 229ND2HS

I want to be able to automatically rename my individual files like this
106_2345.jpg and 229_5564.jpg

Dennis just added it.  The new variable is {foldernum} or {fldn} for short.

You can thank Dennis for that.  I only pestered him. ;)

-Kirk

Offline jonathan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2006, 01:51:13 PM »
Hi Kirk,
I found that I cant rename in the contact sheet. I dbl click the file name , type in a new name hit enter and it resets itself to the original name.
I can rename via the "Rename Photos" in the finder.
Mac OS 10.4.6 Eos 1DsII Raw and Jpeg.
PM works like a charm so far.
Oh is there any way to make the dialog box that tells you your card has been ejected could be closed by just hitting enter as opposed to having to click
on it?
Thanks,
Joanthan Z. ;)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2006, 02:11:04 PM »
I found that I cant rename in the contact sheet. I dbl click the file name , type in a new name hit enter and it resets itself to the original name.

Thanks for the heads up.  I just fixed it.

Quote from: jonathan
Oh is there any way to make the dialog box that tells you your card has been ejected could be closed by just hitting enter as opposed to having to click on it?

The spacebar key should work.  Try that.  (On Mac OS X, if a button has a blue ring around it then it responds to the spacebar.  If it is solid blue then it should respond to enter.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Matt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2006, 08:10:29 PM »
Using the Beta, Windows XP, NEC DVD -
Trying to burn 3.5g to a DVD and PM shuts itself down after flashing me an error screen (it leaves too quick to read it).

Offline Matt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2006, 08:19:51 PM »
Using the Beta, Windows XP, NEC DVD -
Trying to burn 3.5g to a DVD and PM shuts itself down after flashing me an error screen (it leaves too quick to read it).

>>>I was able to catch it:
"Runtime error"  "abnormal program termination"   this referred to Photo Mechanic.exe