Author Topic: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta comments  (Read 121479 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta comments
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 07:05:10 AM »
will there be a support to render CANON Mark II N RAWs ?
If you have Mac OS X 10.4.6, then the answer is yes, but it is only capable of doing as shot rendering (no adjustments).
how does it work ?  I can't find the RAW+JPG source popup menu.
You'll see the new popup menu in several places: Save As, Send Photos via email, HTML Export, Printing, FTP As, and PhotoShelter upload.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 07:10:49 AM »
OK it doesn't happen on Windows. If I modify the tag and color class in XMP, then ACR retains its settings. So the bug appears Mac specific.

BTW any chance we can have the color class and IPTC Urgency tag (optionally) linked? It will make the color class portable and viewable in other apps, and perhaps to even script Photoshop.

We'll take a look at the Mac version. Thanks.
As for the second request, I'll run it by Dennis.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 07:12:53 AM »
just tried the beta on my MacBook 10.4.6. The rendering is now much slower than it used to be in preview and slide show. Is that due to using Mac OS X to render the raw files? If so please make that an option in Preferences and let the default be what it was, because that was great. And also I did not see much difference between the way 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 did render the images. This is with D2X NEF's.

We will definitely have the ability to dynamically control whether you view the preview or render the RAW file while in Preview, and you will be able to toggle the setting on a per-file basis.  We just didn't have time to get it into the initial beta.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 07:18:59 AM »
1) I'm sure its not a bug. I just have never seen it before. Thumbnail view blank and file name is shown as Expired... I have a folder of images I like that I've download for reference. One just started being shown as the above, however I can open the image in Photoshop with no problem.

Is this a new Photoshop/Photo Mechanic feature I'm unaware of? It does not happen with Photo Mechanic 4.4.2.

The beta shows images that are dated in the future of the expiration date of the beta as expired.  You should check the date on the camera that took them since it is capturing photos with a date that is in the future.

2) Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta on my G5 seems to get spinning wheel quite a lot. i.e. close window, go to menu... Spinning wheel 3 to 4 seconds, then come back to life... Looks like back to 4.4.2 for the time being.

This is because of rendering the RAW files, using the same technology as Apple's Aperture.  There will be a preference to control whether the JPEG previews are used (like in earlier versions) or to render the RAW file using as shot settings.

-Kirk

BTW, we just want people to test 4.4.3, not switch to it entirely.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 07:31:58 AM »
The new option in Photo Mechanic to render RAW files using OS X is a welcome addition when trying to judge sharpness and only a small JPEG preview is embedded in the RAW file. Despite this advantage there are two major drawbacks to rendering the RAW data and not the embedded JPEG:

1) Rendering is much slower

True, but isn't that to be expected?

2) Changes to the picture made by editors such as Nikon Capture are not shown when the RAW file is rendered by Mac OS X. They are shown when the JPEG is rendered because Nikon Capture embeds a preview with the edits applied.

It is unlikely we would ever be able to render exactly the way Nikon's software renders, unless they produce an SDK that is capable of working with Apple's Xcode, and is a Universal binary.

While rendering the RAW file has some advantages, there are also significant drawbacks. Would you please consider adding an option to change whether the RAW is rendered or the JPEG is rendered in the preview window?? This will allow one to switch back and forth easily if necessary and get the best of both worlds depending on what is trying to be accomplished.

You can count on that feature being added.  Some folks won't care at all to view rendered RAW files and just want speed.  Some folks will want to be able to toggle between 'draft' and 'high quality'.  Some will want to always see their RAW files rendered.  We will add preferences to suit all three.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 07:33:07 AM »
Have you had time to add the "folder number" as a variable. You and I discussed this on the RG forum, but I can't see the dicusssion right now becuase they are closed.  I seem to remember you saying that it would be implemented "soon".

If the folders are named
106ND2HS and 229ND2HS

I want to be able to automatically rename my individual files like this
106_2345.jpg and 229_5564.jpg

Dropped off the radar.  I'll see what I can do.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 07:35:32 AM »
All you folks who have PhotoShelter accounts:

Please test the new PhotoShelter upload feature and let us know what you think.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 07:36:36 AM »
Those of you that have CD or DVD burners, please test disc burning with various folder level settings.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 08:20:09 AM »
I just tested the PhotoShelter feature and it worked like a charm. Very easy to configure and use! 

Sweet 
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 08:32:11 AM »
Those of you who were having issues with the Navigator in the Windows version, please try all the things you expect a Windows Explorer tree view to be able to do and let us know if there is anything left to do or improve.

You should now be able to drag folders with the left mouse button to copy and move them.  Cut/Copy/Paste should also work with folders.  You should also be able to use right mouse button drag and drop to get a contextual menu at the destination.

The preference for having single clicks open contact sheets has not been added and will likely have to wait until the next update version.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 08:35:50 AM »
Please try out the new Watermarking options in the various output dialogs:

Print Proofs
Save As
Send Photos via email
HTML Export
FTP As
PhotoShelter upload

Let us know how it works for you.  Note that on the Mac version, the preview really only is capable of showing the font style, size and opacity.  Bold, Italic, and Drop shadow do not always work.  I will eventually add a preview for both Mac and Windows that will be fairly accurate.

-Kirk

Offline GrantB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 12:42:06 PM »
The story on Galbraith that led me here today says that the beta does RAW conversions, but I get the impression that I'll just be able to browse RAW images. There is no adjustment and then conversion to jpegs of images a la CS2 or Nikon Capture, right?

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 12:47:31 PM »
If you have Mac OS X 10.4.6, then the answer is yes, but it is only capable of doing as shot rendering (no adjustments).
You'll see the new popup menu in several places: Save As, Send Photos via email, HTML Export, Printing, FTP As, and PhotoShelter upload.

-Kirk

If I try to <Save as> CANON Mark II N RAW-files, I get the message:

<None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution.>

Rendering this files is not possible.

Oryk
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 03:03:16 PM »
The story on Galbraith that led me here today says that the beta does RAW conversions, but I get the impression that I'll just be able to browse RAW images. There is no adjustment and then conversion to jpegs of images a la CS2 or Nikon Capture, right?

You can convert to JPEG, TIFF, or PSD, but you cannot adjust the settings for the conversion.  It just uses the 'as shot' settings.  If you want more control, then you'll be better served by other software at this time.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 03:04:22 PM »

If I try to <Save as> CANON Mark II N RAW-files, I get the message:

<None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution.>

Rendering this files is not possible.

What OS version are you running?

-Kirk