Author Topic: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta comments  (Read 121498 times)

Offline Ron Scheffler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 beta comments
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2006, 12:07:36 AM »
This isn't so a problem with PM, rather one of user error... however, it causes PM to lock up (I don't have enough patience to try to wait it out and end up force quitting)

Here's what happens:

Using Code Replacement... If I direct PM to search for a code in a Supp Category, but I've accidentally placed the code in the wrong field, PM 4.4.3 locks up when the code is missing. I.e. in Supp Cat 3 I place the code xyz and in the caption I write something that includes \{suppcat2}\.... however Supp Cat 2 is empty and PM locks when trying to apply the Stationery Pad.

Would it be possible to pop up a warning explaining the desired field is empty, or code not found, or task aborted, or "do you wish to abort?" or similar, rather than having to force quit? Yes, it's user error but it would beat having to start over.
Ron Scheffler - Photographer

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2006, 12:15:08 AM »
my beta 4.4.3. has epired tonight (Europe time). Is there a new version ?

We'll get a new one out sometime Monday morning PST.

-Kirk

Do you will announce this here or do we have to check http://www.camerabits.com/pages/PM4Beta.html
?

-Oryk
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2006, 06:46:47 AM »
This isn't so a problem with PM, rather one of user error... however, it causes PM to lock up (I don't have enough patience to try to wait it out and end up force quitting)

Here's what happens:

Using Code Replacement... If I direct PM to search for a code in a Supp Category, but I've accidentally placed the code in the wrong field, PM 4.4.3 locks up when the code is missing. I.e. in Supp Cat 3 I place the code xyz and in the caption I write something that includes \{suppcat2}\.... however Supp Cat 2 is empty and PM locks when trying to apply the Stationery Pad.

Would it be possible to pop up a warning explaining the desired field is empty, or code not found, or task aborted, or "do you wish to abort?" or similar, rather than having to force quit? Yes, it's user error but it would beat having to start over.

I found that one and fixed the bug.  I think it's even better to fix the bug than it is to have to put up a warning message. ;)

The side effect is that when no replacement is found, you are left with '\\' in the field, because nothing was found within the delimiters.  I thought about removing them entirely but then you wouldn't have an indicator that no CodeReplacement was found.

You'll see the fix in the next beta.  And to answer Oryk's question, I will make an announcement when the new beta is available, no need to refresh the beta download page.

-Kirk

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2006, 03:42:54 PM »
It's just no fun reverting back to release versions :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2006, 05:48:57 PM »
OK it doesn't happen on Windows. If I modify the tag and color class in XMP, then ACR retains its settings. So the bug appears Mac specific.

I have found out how this happens.  It stems from the Mac version of Bridge/ACR preferring the XMP inside the RAW file rather than the XMP sidecar file.  If you change PM's IPTC/XMP search order to read sidecar files first, then the XMP embedded into the RAW file will have the ACR settings and all will be fine.  The alternative is to have PM only use sidecar files which will always work.

Quote from: RobertE
BTW any chance we can have the color class and IPTC Urgency tag (optionally) linked? It will make the color class portable and viewable in other apps, and perhaps to even script Photoshop.

I'm going to hook up the Label and Rating systems soon.  The Urgency tag could also be used for the color class.

-Kirk

Offline raoulw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2007, 06:13:54 PM »
I'm getting the can't save at high resolution error with 1D2N files, too. 20D RAW files work with "Save as..." though.

Mac OS X 10.4.6 on a PPC iMac.

Could you send us a sample file?  Contact me privately for an FTP server to upload your images.

Mike sent us a sample CR2 from a 1D Mark II N and I was able to identify and fix the problem.  The next beta (and the final 4.4.3 release) will have the fix.

Thanks!

-Kirk

Kirk,

I'm running 4.5.2 on WinXP and am experiencing a similar problem with cr2 files from a 30D and 1DMkII (non N) not converting to JPEG. The error is "Error: none of the selected files were able to be rendered as JPEGs". It only occurs when using upload (to DRR) or "Save as".

It does however convert to JPEG when I select "Send photos via email"??

Cheers,
Raoul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2007, 07:06:20 PM »
Raoul,

I'm running 4.5.2 on WinXP and am experiencing a similar problem with cr2 files from a 30D and 1DMkII (non N) not converting to JPEG. The error is "Error: none of the selected files were able to be rendered as JPEGs". It only occurs when using upload (to DRR) or "Save as".

It does however convert to JPEG when I select "Send photos via email"??

Send photos via email uses the embedded JPEG previews from your RAW files.  Save as does not since it is often the case that the embedded JPEG preview is not of sufficient resolution to be used to save as a different file type.  If you want to get at the embedded previews anyway, use the "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos..." command on the Tools menu.

HTH,

-Kirk