Author Topic: Drag and drop shifts view of contact sheet  (Read 3919 times)

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
Drag and drop shifts view of contact sheet
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
To reduce the number of images I need to drag over to work in an arrangement, I have grouped photos in different contact sheets. I later merged them by dragging photos from one contact sheet into another. The dragged photos always end up at the end of the destination contact sheet, which is understandable behavior. However, when I drag the photos to their final location within the destination contact sheet, the view shifts to somewhere else in the contact sheet that does not include the dragged images. Frequently, it is many rows above the dragged images such that I have to go searching for them to continue my work. This can happen with dozens of images or even one created by an external editor that saves the new image to the end of the contact sheet.

Is there a way around this or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Speeding up dragging in contact sheets containing a large number of images would help alleviate this problem. Holding the cursor near the upper or lower edge of the window does not seem to provide a sufficient speed up. Reducing the size of the thumbnails can help but, constantly changing thumbnail size is not efficient and only yields a marginal improvement.

Environment:
Windows 10.0.14393 Build 14393 64 bit Version
PM 5.0, build 18327

David Roth

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Drag and drop shifts view of contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 03:30:13 PM »
David,

To reduce the number of images I need to drag over to work in an arrangement, I have grouped photos in different contact sheets. I later merged them by dragging photos from one contact sheet into another. The dragged photos always end up at the end of the destination contact sheet, which is understandable behavior. However, when I drag the photos to their final location within the destination contact sheet, the view shifts to somewhere else in the contact sheet that does not include the dragged images. Frequently, it is many rows above the dragged images such that I have to go searching for them to continue my work. This can happen with dozens of images or even one created by an external editor that saves the new image to the end of the contact sheet.

Is there a way around this or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Speeding up dragging in contact sheets containing a large number of images would help alleviate this problem. Holding the cursor near the upper or lower edge of the window does not seem to provide a sufficient speed up. Reducing the size of the thumbnails can help but, constantly changing thumbnail size is not efficient and only yields a marginal improvement.

Would it be possible for you to record a video of the problem occurring and providing it to me?  Seeing the problem in action would help me reproduce the problem and try to provide a fix for it.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:14:27 PM »
Sorry for the tardy reply, but I don't have any video capture software and have been away. Attached are three screen shots demonstrating what I am experiencing.

Dave Roth

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 08:59:13 PM »
David,

We'll try and reproduce the problem, but in the meantime, if you press one of the arrow keys and then quickly press the opposite arrow key then the item should be brought into view immediately.

-Kirk

Offline Jeffascough

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 05:50:55 AM »
I am seeing this issue too. In any contact sheet, whenever I move a thumbnail to a different position within the sheet, the sheet jumps about leaving me looking for where the image is that I've just moved.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »
Jeff,

I am seeing this issue too. In any contact sheet, whenever I move a thumbnail to a different position within the sheet, the sheet jumps about leaving me looking for where the image is that I've just moved.

Get the latest build of PM5.  This problem has been fixed.

-Kirk