Author Topic: Nikon D5 cable ingest  (Read 3693 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Nikon D5 cable ingest
« on: July 24, 2017, 01:34:15 PM »
I almost never connect my camera directly to the computer, rather I use a card reader, but recently I had to download photos from a Nikon D5 direclty connecting via USB to my Mac (no reader, just a cable issue). The camera card didn't show up in Finder or PM. I had to download pics with Image Capture, den ingest from folder. It was not only slow and space consuming, but in camera protect tags disappeared after the Image Capture download.

Is there any other way to do it properly with PM?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Nikon D5 cable ingest
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
I almost never connect my camera directly to the computer, rather I use a card reader, but recently I had to download photos from a Nikon D5 direclty connecting via USB to my Mac (no reader, just a cable issue). The camera card didn't show up in Finder or PM. I had to download pics with Image Capture, den ingest from folder. It was not only slow and space consuming, but in camera protect tags disappeared after the Image Capture download.

Use a card reader like you normally do.  PM does not support downloading (Ingesting) images directly from cameras.  It is clumsy and slow.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:13:36 PM »

Use a card reader like you normally do.  PM does not support downloading (Ingesting) images directly from cameras.  It is clumsy and slow.

-Kirk

I would have used a card reader if I would have had one at hand at that time. So there is no other way around this problem just using the OS built in app to get the pics off the card.
,-((
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:15:16 PM by vAfotoriporter »
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:38:30 PM »

I would have used a card reader if I would have had one at hand at that time. So there is no other way around this problem just using the OS built in app to get the pics off the card.
,-((

That's correct.

-Kirk