Author Topic: Connection to Zenfolio  (Read 8231 times)

Offline vireo27

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Connection to Zenfolio
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »
Anyone else having problems connecting to Zenfolio from Photo Mechanic? It's been 24 hours since I could last connect.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Connection to Zenfolio
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »
Zenfolio made a change on their end to tighten security.  PM5 uses a fairly old version of OpenSSL and cannot be updated easily to a newer version of OpenSSL.  I contacted Zenfolio and alerted them to the issue and they have re-enabled the older cipher that PM5 is compatible with.  So you should now be able to use Zenfolio again.

-Kirk

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
As of right now (7/29 @ 2:05 PDT) I'm getting error messages - Here's a log snippet...

2017-07-29 13:36:19   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-16.JPG   Zenfolio   ./ruby/script/http-mod.rb:600:in `connect': SSL_connect SYSCALL returned=5 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
2017-07-29 13:36:20   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-17.JPG   Zenfolio   ./ruby/script/http-mod.rb:600:in `connect': SSL_connect SYSCALL returned=5 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
2017-07-29 13:36:20   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-18.JPG   Zenfolio   ./ruby/script/http-mod.rb:600:in `connect': SSL_connect SYSCALL returned=5 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
2017-07-29 13:36:21   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-19.JPG   Zenfolio   ./ruby/script/http-mod.rb:600:in `connect': SSL_connect SYSCALL returned=5 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
2017-07-29 13:36:22   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-21.JPG   Zenfolio   ./ruby/script/http-mod.rb:600:in `connect': SSL_connect SYSCALL returned=5 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
2017-07-29 13:36:25   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-20.JPG   Zenfolio   User abort requested.
2017-07-29 13:36:25   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-22.JPG   Zenfolio   User abort requested.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 04:39:27 PM »
As of right now (7/29 @ 2:05 PDT) I'm getting error messages - Here's a log snippet...

2017-07-29 13:36:19   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-16.JPG   Zenfolio   ./ruby/script/http-mod.rb:600:in `connect': SSL_connect SYSCALL returned=5 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
2017-07-29 13:36:20   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-17.JPG   Zenfolio   ./ruby/script/http-mod.rb:600:in `connect': SSL_connect SYSCALL returned=5 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
2017-07-29 13:36:20   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-18.JPG   Zenfolio   ./ruby/script/http-mod.rb:600:in `connect': SSL_connect SYSCALL returned=5 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
2017-07-29 13:36:21   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-19.JPG   Zenfolio   ./ruby/script/http-mod.rb:600:in `connect': SSL_connect SYSCALL returned=5 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
2017-07-29 13:36:22   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-21.JPG   Zenfolio   ./ruby/script/http-mod.rb:600:in `connect': SSL_connect SYSCALL returned=5 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
2017-07-29 13:36:25   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-20.JPG   Zenfolio   User abort requested.
2017-07-29 13:36:25   [ERROR]   /Photo Assignments/Digestive Diseases Portraits 170727/•Select from RAW/Anna Skay, MD-22.JPG   Zenfolio   User abort requested.

Unfortunately, the fix was temporary.  I have another message out to them alerting them of the problem, but it is the weekend and I doubt I will hear anything until Monday.

-Kirk

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 10:34:33 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

I alerted them as well that there was problem (before I read your original response to vireo27) and I did hear from Tech Support.

I've updated them with your original reply but I don't think Tech Support alone has the system access to be able to rectify anything like the problem you described

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 08:17:51 AM »
The Latest Word from Zenfolio (3:42AM PDT)

The developer of Photo Mechanic contacted us. They use an OLD SSL version. We are waiting for IT to give us an update and suggestions going forward. We would suggest talking to the developer when there is an update. We have updated our SSL servers to meet the industry standards, and they are running into some issues uploading now.

If you have questions about the status of when this will be fixed then I suggest reaching out to Photo Mechanic for an update. You can contacted here: http://docs.camerabits.com
We are hoping to work with the developer to find a solution very soon.

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 08:19:44 AM »
UPDATE 8/2/17:

Upload function to Zenfolio seems to be back online and functioning as before.

Thanks!

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 08:18:09 AM »
Upload Function to Zenfolio has ceased to function once more...

Zenfolio Support states:
"We have recently updated our sites to take advantage of the new SSL certificate needed for optimized security. Photo Mechanic’s software is not compatible with the recent updates, and the developer will need to make changes on their end."

The seems to be the same problem encountered back in July/Aug.

Is there a fix in the works or will this need to wait until PM v5.1 is released - or beyond?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
The changes needed to make PM5's upload system compatible with newer SSL requirements are significant and are beyond the scope of maintenance.  The changes have been made to PM6 however.  PM6 is still in development and I don't have a projected release date at this time.

-Kirk

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 03:04:54 PM »
This is kind of a BIG thing - Having the ability to resize files and upload to web services in one application... :-\
Camerabits does make a point of this feature in their website merchandising efforts

Surely these SSL requirements and changes have been known for a while I should think - In August you worked out a patch/workaround with Zenfolio, I'm assuming that's no longer possible anymore.

Can you tell us users which online services still are working with PM5 or is Zenfolio the only orphan?

So do you need any beta testers for PM6?

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 03:35:05 PM »
Right now, I believe the workaround is to use Zenfolio's web-based uploader and DRAG selected photos from Photo Mechanic to the Zenfolio web application.  You can save resized JPGs to a new folder, automatically open a new contact sheet, drag them to Zenfolio, then delete them in PM if necessary. I know it is not ideal, but that's where we are at the moment. 

As far as I can tell, the other services have not changed their APIs recently and should still work as intended.

When the next version is available for beta testing, we shall certainly proclaim it loudly here. We are eager to get it ready and restore connectivity with Zenfolio, a site we know a lot of users rely on.

Thank you,

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 05:55:16 PM »
Surely these SSL requirements and changes have been known for a while I should think - In August you worked out a patch/workaround with Zenfolio, I'm assuming that's no longer possible anymore.

We found out about the loss of functionality when our users started complaining about difficulties using the Zenfolio template.  The workaround was that Zenfolio changed their servers back to allowing older (less secure) SSL connections.  They have decided to no longer allow less secure SSL connections.  Fixing this problem in PM5 just isn't feasible.

Can you tell us users which online services still are working with PM5 or is Zenfolio the only orphan?

As far as we can tell only Zenfolio functionality was lost.

We will be making the beta of PM6 public once it is ready.  Everyone will be able to try out PM6 and its Catalog features.

-Kirk

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 10:02:30 PM »
You can save resized JPGs to a new folder, automatically open a new contact sheet, drag them to Zenfolio, then delete them in PM if necessary. I know it is not ideal, but that's where we are at the moment. 

Thanks MickO - That's definately a good tip and keeps me in PM as opposed to using another application and wasting time swtching back and forth. It's really why I use (and love) PM, it's just so damn useful and time saving in my everyday workflow.

Editorial Opinion -
PM 5 is some 5 years old now, seems about time to update things a bit - Personally I'm still waiting for that hierarchical Zenfolio gallery view that made a brief appearance a while back to reappear for good.

Offline getsomephoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 10:34:08 PM »

We found out about the loss of functionality when our users started complaining about difficulties using the Zenfolio template.  The workaround was that Zenfolio changed their servers back to allowing older (less secure) SSL connections.  They have decided to no longer allow less secure SSL connections.  Fixing this problem in PM5 just isn't feasible.

As far as we can tell only Zenfolio functionality was lost.

We will be making the beta of PM6 public once it is ready.  Everyone will be able to try out PM6 and its Catalog features.

-Kirk

When are we going to get back the uploader for Zenfolio? Its been a year now and has put a serious dent in my work flow not having it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 08:31:18 AM »
When are we going to get back the uploader for Zenfolio? Its been a year now and has put a serious dent in my work flow not having it.

The Zenfolio uploader will be back in PM6.  PM6 will be available later this year.  We have people testing it now outside of company personnel.

-Kirk