Author Topic: ftp Sony ARW file formats?  (Read 5958 times)

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
ftp Sony ARW file formats?
« on: July 28, 2017, 08:20:25 AM »
When I ftp files with Sony's ARW format (RAW), I cannot change the "When using RAW: Use embedded preview" so the resulting JPEG is small (1616x1080). Is there an issue here? Thanks for any help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: ftp Sony ARW file formats?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:01:23 AM »
When I ftp files with Sony's ARW format (RAW), I cannot change the "When using RAW: Use embedded preview" so the resulting JPEG is small (1616x1080). Is there an issue here? Thanks for any help.

Send the whole RAW file instead of a JPEG.  Otherwise all that PM has access to is the preview.

-Kirk

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 03:14:36 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me Kirk. I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What I'm trying to do is send a full-frame JPEG version of the RAW file by ftp (to an agency). The problem is that I cannot change the setting "When using RAW: Use embedded preview" (see screenshot). Of course if it uses the embedded preview, that's why the other end receives a small-sized JPEG (1616x1080, which is the size of the JPEG preview). Is there some setting elsewhere that I need to change?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 03:46:16 PM »
Yes.  In the Transmit section, you need to send the original RAW files and not save as JPEG.  If you choose to save as JPEGs, then the previews in your RAW files will have to be used because it can't render your RAW files.

If you can't upload RAW files, then I suggest either rendering your RAW files to JPEGs with your favorite RAW converter, or shoot in RAW+JPEG mode and send the JPEGs only.

-Kirk

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »
This is new for me. I used to shoot Canon RAW files and I was always able to export full-sized JPEGs. I just tried with an old .cr2 RAW file and the option "When using RAW: Render RAW where possible" appears (see screenshot) and I can send a full-size JPEG. This option isn't available using Sony RAW files. I guess I could shoot in RAW+JPEG if I need the RAW files but also want to export in JPEGs. Something to remember next time! Thanks for helping out on this - maybe something to put on the future development list?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 04:47:56 PM »
This is new for me. I used to shoot Canon RAW files and I was always able to export full-sized JPEGs. I just tried with an old .cr2 RAW file and the option "When using RAW: Render RAW where possible" appears (see screenshot) and I can send a full-size JPEG. This option isn't available using Sony RAW files. I guess I could shoot in RAW+JPEG if I need the RAW files but also want to export in JPEGs. Something to remember next time! Thanks for helping out on this - maybe something to put on the future development list?

That's a matter for Apple to implement.  The RAW rendering support used in PM5 is provided by Apple's ImageIO framework (which unfortunately only gets updated on the very latest OSes).

PM6 will offer a different solution not dependent on Apple's frameworks.

-Kirk

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »
So do you think PM6 will be able to render Sony RAW files to JPEG? This could be quite a problem until it does since it basically means the Sony RAW format is redundant when using PM. Adobe Lightroom doesn't accept them either. Thanks for your help anyway.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 07:36:53 PM »
So do you think PM6 will be able to render Sony RAW files to JPEG? This could be quite a problem until it does since it basically means the Sony RAW format is redundant when using PM. Adobe Lightroom doesn't accept them either. Thanks for your help anyway.

I expect that Adobe Lightroom, ACR, and the DNG Converter will all support your RAW files sooner rather than later.  Sony cameras are becoming very popular.

-Kirk

Offline rugfoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 05:25:21 AM »
Just a final ps to this Kirk. I've realised that if you shoot in RAW+JPEG you get round this issue and PM allows you to export full-frame JPEGs (obviously by working on the original JPEGs). This would only be in the unusual scenario (which I had the other night) where you need both RAW files and exported JPEGs. Thanks for your help again.

Rich