Photo Mechanic > Feature Requests

RAW histogram

(1/2) > >>

sfbillm:
Would very much like for PM to have a RAW histogram. I often use FastRawViewer to cull and select photos when I have a shoot with bracketed images, as jpeg-based ones aren't accurate enough for critical work. But it's not nearly as intuitive or fast to use as PM.
Could you add RAW histograms to PM?
Thanks.

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: sfbillm on July 31, 2017, 05:15:54 PM ---Would very much like for PM to have a RAW histogram. I often use FastRawViewer to cull and select photos when I have a shoot with bracketed images, as jpeg-based ones aren't accurate enough for critical work. But it's not nearly as intuitive or fast to use as PM.
Could you add RAW histograms to PM?

--- End quote ---

The short answer is: no.

PM doesn't render RAW files itself, so it can't have access to the image data and as such it can't count the frequency of color data.

Speed comes from not rendering RAW files.

-Kirk

sfbillm:
Appreciate the prompt reply. But as far as speed of rendering is concerned, FRV on my not the latest or most powerful rig is quite speedy - no noticeable difference between it and PM. Admittedly, the folders I'm opening in either don't have thousands of images - at most 2 or 3 hundred, and most far fewer than that.

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: sfbillm on August 01, 2017, 11:54:03 AM ---Appreciate the prompt reply. But as far as speed of rendering is concerned, FRV on my not the latest or most powerful rig is quite speedy - no noticeable difference between it and PM. Admittedly, the folders I'm opening in either don't have thousands of images - at most 2 or 3 hundred, and most far fewer than that.

--- End quote ---

In general, PM does not render RAW images.  Since it does not render RAW images, then it can't also get a more accurate histogram either.

-Kirk

djjcarroll:
Tuesday, August 08, 2017, 1:40 PM

Kirk, if PM does not render raw images, then re the Preferences - Raw Section, what does RAW rendering for Previews do?  I was just looking at a contact sheet of raw (Fuji Raf files) and noticed how very long it took to view the thumbnail at its sharpest point.   I then followed a previous post of yours and turned off using RAW rendering and reloaded the disk and the thumbnails appeared instantly.

So, I am wondering, when I should use Raw rendering for previews if used what exactly does it do?

Don J J Carroll

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version