Author Topic: Force Page Break when {variable} changes  (Read 2822 times)

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Force Page Break when {variable} changes
« on: August 06, 2017, 05:30:14 AM »
I am doing batches of headshot photos for a large client. They want a proof sheet for each person so they can select the pose(s) for me to retouch and finish for delivery.

Is there a way in PhotoMechanic for the Print Contact Sheet function to force a "page break" when a selected variable changes?  For example, if I sort all of the images by the IPTC field where I am placing their name and then print the contact sheet, could it print all of the images for "Adams" then when the "Baker" name comes up, start the contact sheet for that person on a new sheet.

Sure would be handy -- I could probably print these on-site this way using my DS-80 printer and really spead up delivery.

Thanks!

-Mike
Fairfield Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Force Page Break when {variable} changes
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:18:35 AM »
Mike,

I am doing batches of headshot photos for a large client. They want a proof sheet for each person so they can select the pose(s) for me to retouch and finish for delivery.

Is there a way in PhotoMechanic for the Print Contact Sheet function to force a "page break" when a selected variable changes?  For example, if I sort all of the images by the IPTC field where I am placing their name and then print the contact sheet, could it print all of the images for "Adams" then when the "Baker" name comes up, start the contact sheet for that person on a new sheet.

Sure would be handy -- I could probably print these on-site this way using my DS-80 printer and really spead up delivery.

No, there is no option/capability in the printing features that will prematurely force a page break.

I suggest making a custom sort that uses the variable that contains the 'names' and then select each group and then print each group.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 12:07:54 PM »
The sort and repeated select/print is the work around I'll use.

Could I ask that you consider this as a future enhancement?  "Contact Sheet Page Break on {variable} Change" and have a field for one {Variable
} value?

Thanks!

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 03:10:51 PM »
Mike,

The sort and repeated select/print is the work around I'll use.

Could I ask that you consider this as a future enhancement?  "Contact Sheet Page Break on {variable} Change" and have a field for one {Variable
} value?

I'd have to think about it.  It's an interesting concept, but not sure about the implementation.  In order to know about the number of total pages in advance (for the print job dialog) it would have to run through all of the items in order, checking for when they change from one state to another.  It would be a total mess if the variable changed on each item (one page per thumbnail!) so while I see the value in what you're requesting, I like features that work consistently and don't cause more problems than they solve.

-Kirk