Author Topic: metadata export -- import to FileMaker  (Read 3058 times)

Offline HynesMR

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
metadata export -- import to FileMaker
« on: August 07, 2017, 06:37:28 AM »
Hi there!

I know this can be done and I was just testing the process before I get to far into the project and I think I'm missing something obvious.

I have images that will have metadata added using PhotoMechanic and then uploaded into a FileMaker database for researcher use.

I added some metadata to some test images and did an export-->text (using variables I have test text in). I did this both a variable with commas and with {tab} delimiters.

When I open FileMaker and go to Import File look for either a csv or tab delimited file, the test text file to import with the metadata from PM is not registering as anything other than a text file so not being shown as a viable import into FileMaker (grayed out). Even if I go to "all files" it is not allowing me to chose it.

I can go through Excel, and then import to FileMaker, but I thought the saved metadata file should be recognized directly by FM?

Am I missing something?

I'm using PM 5 with FileMaker 15 and Mac OS Yosemite

Thanks for help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: metadata export -- import to FileMaker
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:49:40 AM »
I know this can be done and I was just testing the process before I get to far into the project and I think I'm missing something obvious.

I have images that will have metadata added using PhotoMechanic and then uploaded into a FileMaker database for researcher use.

I added some metadata to some test images and did an export-->text (using variables I have test text in). I did this both a variable with commas and with {tab} delimiters.

When I open FileMaker and go to Import File look for either a csv or tab delimited file, the test text file to import with the metadata from PM is not registering as anything other than a text file so not being shown as a viable import into FileMaker (grayed out). Even if I go to "all files" it is not allowing me to chose it.

I can go through Excel, and then import to FileMaker, but I thought the saved metadata file should be recognized directly by FM?

Am I missing something?

I'm using PM 5 with FileMaker 15 and Mac OS Yosemite

Thanks for help!

It is indeed a text file that is exported from the Text Exporter.  Have you tried renaming the filename extension from .txt to .tsv or whatever filename extension FileMaker is wanting?

-Kirk

Offline HynesMR

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: metadata export -- import to FileMaker
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 10:27:13 AM »

That worked! I added the .txt extension to the file and FileMaker now recognizes it as a tab delimited file for import. Bingo!

Thanks Kirk!