Author Topic: Fuji RAF files looks like the jpeg  (Read 3879 times)

Offline rdmalik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Fuji RAF files looks like the jpeg
« on: August 08, 2017, 12:49:58 PM »
Hi
I am using the trial version and imported both the jpeg and raw files into PM. The film simulation I used was black and white and I expect the jpegs to be in black and white. The raw files also show up as black and white. Is there any way to show the raw files in the original color ?
Thanks in advance

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Fuji RAF files looks like the jpeg
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 01:00:49 PM »
Hi
I am using the trial version and imported both the jpeg and raw files into PM. The film simulation I used was black and white and I expect the jpegs to be in black and white. The raw files also show up as black and white. Is there any way to show the raw files in the original color ?

If the JPEGs were actually in grayscale then PM would show them that way.  I expect that your camera has marked them to be "interpreted as black and white" and PM doesn't pick up on that hint and perform that conversion.

Does any other software beyond the software that is provided by the camera manufacturer do this?

-Kirk

Offline rdmalik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:55:19 PM »
Software provided by Fuji is called silkypix and it shows the raw file incolor. Same with Lightroom.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 11:59:04 PM »
OK, looks like Kirk (and I) misunderstood your question. So the jpg and raw file show up b&w in PM but you want the raw to show colours instead?

The thing is, for speed (amongst other things) PM uses the embedded jpg in the raw file and this is b&w too. So you simply won't be able to get the original colours unless you use software to update the embedded jpg (which e.g. Lightroom does not do). If you're on a Mac another possibility would be to enable apple's raw rendering (set the preference, or press q in the preview window). This will then render the raw file in colour. Caveat 1: you must have a Mac and your camera must be supported by Apple's ImageIO, caveat 2: raw rendering will slow down your PM workflow.

An alternative solution: convert your raw files to dng (and have it embed a full size preview).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »
Hi
Thanks in advance

If you are on macOS, you can use the 'q' key while looking at a photo in the preview window.  It will toggle the view to render the raw file and you will not see the Fuji b&w simulation in that view.  Hit 'q' again to go back to the jpeg.  If you would like to view the raw for all photos all the time, you can change that in the Preferences under RAW.

I have tested this with files from a Fuji X-T2,  Again, this is only available on macOS because it has Raw rendering built in to the OS.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:08:52 AM by MickO »
Mick O
Camera Bits