Author Topic: Edit snapshots in external text editor?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline fotograhn

• View Profile
Edit snapshots in external text editor?
« on: August 14, 2017, 02:41:40 AM »
Hi guys,

I regularly use the "snapshot" setting to save templates for IPTC Pad and Ingest Templates. I am referring to the saved settings function accessed by "the lightning bolt" icon, in the bottom left corner of the "Ingest/Stationery Pad" windows. I have plenty of saved snapshots, one per home team so I only need to make minimal adjustments for each new match.

I know how to locate and access them on my harddrive (holding alt/options while clicking). My question is: can I edit the content of a snapshot file (the template) with an external text editor, for instance BBEdit?

I'm using the latest versions of Macos and Photo Mechanic.

Warm regards,
Sami Grahn
Photographer

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Edit snapshots in external text editor?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 04:27:23 AM »
Yes, that should be possible :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline fotograhn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 04:49:15 AM »
Gosh! I must have been really tired last night when I tried to accomplish this, and wrote this question. Then it failed. Now it works like a charm. Eureka! Now I can batch edit my many snapshots. What a relief!

The only question I might have left now is in regards to some specific IPTC fields. For instance, the "Copyright" field. How come that fields is treated different than many other IPTC field? Maybe it has something to do with what is "IPTC core" and what is "IPTC Extension"?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 05:50:19 AM »
Hi Sami, what do you mean with treated differently? I guess you mean it is put into dc:rights instead of an Iptc4xmpCore? That's indeed because Copyright is not in the XMP-iptcCore group, but in the XMP-dc group.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl