Photo Mechanic > Support

Can EXIF be altered in Photo Mechanic?

(1/2) > >>

robgo2:
I am using Photo Mechanic v5.0. I wonder if it is possible to alter EXIF data that come from the camera. Specifically, I would like to change the focal length of the lens used in some situations. This need arises, because I am using non-Leica M-mount lenses on a Leica camera. The lenses are not 6-bit coded, but I am able to manually select a code in the camera that best fits the properties of a particular lens. Sometimes, this involves a Leica lens code for a different focal length, e.g. when using a ZM 35/1.4 lens, the code for Leica 28/2 works best. I understand that one can do this in Lightroom, but I do not use LR.

Thanks,
Rob

Kirk Baker:
Rob,

--- Quote from: robgo2 on August 14, 2017, 08:56:43 AM ---I am using Photo Mechanic v5.0. I wonder if it is possible to alter EXIF data that come from the camera. Specifically, I would like to change the focal length of the lens used in some situations. This need arises, because I am using non-Leica M-mount lenses on a Leica camera. The lenses are not 6-bit coded, but I am able to manually select a code in the camera that best fits the properties of a particular lens. Sometimes, this involves a Leica lens code for a different focal length, e.g. when using a ZM 35/1.4 lens, the code for Leica 28/2 works best. I understand that one can do this in Lightroom, but I do not use LR.

--- End quote ---

No, PM does not provide a way to modify the lens focal length.

ExifTool can do that however, and is free. https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

-Kirk

robgo2:
Thanks, Kirk.

Rob

robgo2:
I downloaded ExifTool and soon discovered that I do not do well with command line programs. Fortunately, I discovered another program, Exif Editor for Mac, that is more my speed. It appears to be quite simple and has everything I need. I bought it from the App Store for $10.99.

Rob

andomar:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on August 14, 2017, 08:59:02 AM ---
No, PM does not provide a way to modify the lens focal length.

ExifTool can do that however, and is free. https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, PM is incompatible with files modified by ExifTool (or other Tools which modify the Exifdata in the Raw).

I had set the LensType with Exiftool on a Sony ARW file: everything fine - every software accepts this.
But if I then use PhotoMechnic (current version 6) to change for example the rating (with key 1) on this file, PM destroys that raw-file when persisting this information!
The raw-file is no longer readable with any program!
I also had a support request to Camera Bits regarding this: I was advised to configure PM not to write the rating directly into the raw file and to use sidecar files instead.
Not what I wanted to hear ...
Unfortunately for me this is a reproducible bug in PM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version