Author Topic: Search not finding files  (Read 4768 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
Search not finding files
« on: August 21, 2017, 04:53:34 AM »
I am searching for "Cornwall"  in selected system folder called 2017. Cornwall is in the caption field of the xmp side car files.

A Spotlight search finds 1787 XMP files.

A Media Pro smart folder displays 1789 thumbnails

If I open the 2017 folder in PM, "Find" finds  1780 thumbnails

However, a search of the 2017 folder, using PMs Search,  only finds 503 files.  I restricted the search to the 2017 folder and only the caption field.

Has anyone any suggestion as to what I might be doing wrong with the search?  I'm not sure why there are minor differences with the other methods, but the Search is obviously widely different. I have tried different comparisons,using keywords etc and I get the same sort of differences.

I'm not sure why I thought it would make a difference, but I have rebuilt the Spotlight index, and the files are on an external HD.

Its the latest version of PM, and it's El Capitan.

Thanks,
Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Search not finding files
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 07:07:41 AM »
I am searching for "Cornwall"  in selected system folder called 2017. Cornwall is in the caption field of the xmp side car files.

A Spotlight search finds 1787 XMP files.

A Media Pro smart folder displays 1789 thumbnails

If I open the 2017 folder in PM, "Find" finds  1780 thumbnails

However, a search of the 2017 folder, using PMs Search,  only finds 503 files.  I restricted the search to the 2017 folder and only the caption field.

Has anyone any suggestion as to what I might be doing wrong with the search?  I'm not sure why there are minor differences with the other methods, but the Search is obviously widely different. I have tried different comparisons,using keywords etc and I get the same sort of differences.

I'm not sure why I thought it would make a difference, but I have rebuilt the Spotlight index, and the files are on an external HD.

Its the latest version of PM, and it's El Capitan.

Spotlight doesn't associate XMP metadata with RAW files, nor does it intelligently index XMP metadata.  The results you're seeing are expected.  There is no workaround at this time.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 07:29:00 AM »

Spotlight doesn't associate XMP metadata with RAW files, nor does it intelligently index XMP metadata.  The results you're seeing are expected.  There is no workaround at this time.

-Kirk

Thanks, I did find some earlier posts here mentioning this, but I thought this had maybe changed.  There have been a few comments on different forums recently about using PM as a DAM because Spotlight produces the indexing/cataloging component that a DAM would offer.  I thought I would give it a go.

edit: Should it work if the IPTC data is embedded in the raw file, rathe than a sidecar. I am just trying to figure out how others are getting this to work

Cheers,

Graham
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:34:16 AM by myotis »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »
Graham,

Thanks, I did find some earlier posts here mentioning this, but I thought this had maybe changed.  There have been a few comments on different forums recently about using PM as a DAM because Spotlight produces the indexing/cataloging component that a DAM would offer.  I thought I would give it a go.

edit: Should it work if the IPTC data is embedded in the raw file, rathe than a sidecar. I am just trying to figure out how others are getting this to work

Unlikely.  Spotlight doesn't index RAW files well either.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »

Ok, thanks, I wonder how people are getting this to work for them.

Ah well, at least I can say I tried.

Cheers,
Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 08:32:22 PM »
Graham,

Ok, thanks, I wonder how people are getting this to work for them.

Ah well, at least I can say I tried.

They aren't, at least not with RAW files, and no one is getting this to work on Windows since there is no Spotlight on Windows.

PM5 is not a DAM.  On macOS, there are some search facilities, but it is limited to what Spotlight allows.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »

They aren't, at least not with RAW files, and no one is getting this to work on Windows since there is no Spotlight on Windows.

PM5 is not a DAM.  On macOS, there are some search facilities, but it is limited to what Spotlight allows.

Yes, I realise PM5 isn't a DAM (but I have high hopes for PM6) but it's still often recommended on forums when someone  asks for advice on buying a DAM. I'm just trying it out.

Does spotlight search metadata in JPEGs?

Thanks,
Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 08:10:45 AM »
Graham,

Yes, I realise PM5 isn't a DAM (but I have high hopes for PM6) but it's still often recommended on forums when someone  asks for advice on buying a DAM. I'm just trying it out.

Does spotlight search metadata in JPEGs?

Yes, but the last time I checked, Spotlight was only handling legacy IPTC properly and ignored XMP.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 08:25:38 AM »
Yes, but the last time I checked, Spotlight was only handling legacy IPTC properly and ignored XMP.

-Kirk

Thanks, worth knowing.

Cheers,

Graham