Author Topic: PhotoMechanic Arbitrarily Decides to Download All the Images on a Card  (Read 5038 times)

Offline FotografodelParque

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I have been using PhotoMechanic for several years and this most recent version, for some unknown reason, despite the fact that I have incremental ingest checked, decides to download all the files on a given card. This is both annoying and time consuming as once the entire download is complete I have to go to both the primary and secondary disks and erase all the files that have already been copied in previous downloads. My questions are:

1. How can you prevent this?
2. How can you stop Photo Mechanic in the middle of its process without causing a problem on your card.

Look forward to all responses

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PhotoMechanic Arbitrarily Decides to Download All the Images on a Card
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
I have been using PhotoMechanic for several years and this most recent version, for some unknown reason, despite the fact that I have incremental ingest checked, decides to download all the files on a given card. This is both annoying and time consuming as once the entire download is complete I have to go to both the primary and secondary disks and erase all the files that have already been copied in previous downloads. My questions are:

1. How can you prevent this?

It should not do this under normal circumstances.  Is your card writable?  If it isn't then PM won't be able to put its card identifier file on the card and then it won't be able to do an incremental ingest.

2. How can you stop Photo Mechanic in the middle of its process without causing a problem on your card.

Stopping Ingest won't cause a problem on your card.  Ingest does not write to your images or modify them in any way.

-Kirk

Offline Kanphotography

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
I am having the same issue. When ingesting duplicates it renames them to filenameA.cr2. So it just adds an A at the end of the file name. What is going on?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:09:22 PM »
I am having the same issue. When ingesting duplicates it renames them to filenameA.cr2. So it just adds an A at the end of the file name. What is going on?

Are you using the Incremental Ingest option?  If not, all images will be downloaded again.

-Kirk

Offline Kanphotography

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 02:22:55 AM »
Yes, of course.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 04:09:45 AM »
Could it be that in between there was a daylight savings or timezone change? Since the FAT file system doesn't store times in utc, a change like this has the unwanted effect of also changing the file times...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kanphotography

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »
no change for me.