Author Topic: FIND and FIND and REPLACE  (Read 9304 times)

Offline Colin Robinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
FIND and FIND and REPLACE
« on: September 03, 2017, 06:38:31 AM »
Yesterday I photographed a rugby match. I copied and amended an IPTC pad  I had used for a previous match featuring one of the same teams. I missed removing a keyword, namely Edinburgh, which was the city the previous game was located in. I did add the new city Glasgow. The result is that I have two cities in my keyword list for each photo, and would like to remove Edinburgh. I have checked on the forum and see that "find and replace" seems to be the way.
On the contact sheet when I select all images and and use FIND, PM highlights all the images containing the key word Edinburgh, except for two where I have manually deleted the keyword from both images,  ie it is working correctly.
However .... when I try to use FIND and RELACE and search for Edinburgh, and try to replace it with green, a "throwaway" keyword I would not  normally use, but is correct in that there is a lot of green grass, PM says search string not found. I'm not doing anything different in either case that I am aware of.

I dont want to remove all keywords and start again as I have added specific keywords to over a hundred images before noticing my error.
Images have not been imported to Lightroom yet, and I'm using latest PM, and latest  MacOs on a MacBook pro....
Help please?
TIA,
Colin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FIND and FIND and REPLACE
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »
Can you post a sample image here (and any matching XMP sidecar file), along with a screen shot of your Find and Replace settings?

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your files.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Colin Robinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 07:56:53 AM »
Kirk,
Many thanks for your very impressive and immediate response.
This morning I was generating the screen grabs to show you the problem, and Find and Replace worked. I have absolutely no idea why, everything was exactly the same as last night, same photos,  same settings and same search for, and replace, keywords.
I know i will appear to be a dork, but so be it.
Thanks again.
Love your software by the way, and push it whenever I can.
Colin.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 09:16:39 AM »
Colin,

Many thanks for your very impressive and immediate response.
This morning I was generating the screen grabs to show you the problem, and Find and Replace worked. I have absolutely no idea why, everything was exactly the same as last night, same photos,  same settings and same search for, and replace, keywords.
I know i will appear to be a dork, but so be it.

Sometimes problems like these can manifest themselves later on.  If that happens, return to this thread and post the samples.  I'll be happy to look into the problem.

Love your software by the way, and push it whenever I can.

Thanks!  The best is yet to come.

-Kirk

Offline Colin Robinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 01:43:35 AM »
Kirk, you must be physic as this problem has reappeared.
I tagged an image using code replacements to show a Keyword and "Persons Shown" as Aiden Brennan.
I have since learned it should be AidAn not AidEn.
I tried "find and replace" and it says nothing found.
I tried "Find" and it finds the file no problem.
 I have attached the file with its side car, and screen prints of the find dialogues.
For your info if it maters, I am using MacBook Pro with latest updates, High Sierra 10.13.4 , Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 19395 (69a3200) and my files are on a LAcie external SSD.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Colin Robinson

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 08:11:36 AM »
Unfortunately it worked for me.  I was unable to reproduce the problem.  See the attached screenshot.  I could add some logging code to the Find and Replace panel and have you reproduce the problem and send me the logs.  Let me know if you're interested in helping me solve the problem.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Colin Robinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 07:45:25 AM »
Delighted to help. Let me know how.
Colin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 09:58:08 AM »
Colin,

Please use this version for our testing (I may have you download additional versions that have progressively finer logging in them until I identify the source of the problem.)

http://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanic5R19536.dmg

In order to turn logging on, you'll need to create a file named PMDebug.txt and you have to place it among Photo Mechanic's preferences files.  Photo Mechanic's preferences files are stored in the following location:

<your home folder>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/

You can get there quickly by going to the "Go" menu in the Finder, and choosing "Go To Folder..." and entering:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic

Create the PMDebug.txt with your favorite text editor (it must be plain text and not some RTF or Word document.)  It needs to have the following contents:

FIND_REPLACE_LOGGING ON

Save the PMDebug.txt file to the above folder.  Then run the new version of Photo Mechanic and reproduce the problem.  Next, go to the Help menu and choose the 'Reveal Support Data...' menu item.  Your PM.log file should now be compressed and a Finder window should come forward and show you the file.  Please post the zipped PM log file here

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Colin Robinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 12:29:04 AM »
Thanks Kirk,
Sorry for the delay, Ive had a very busy few days.
I think I have followed your instructions correctly. The problem did reproduce and I attach the log file for your information.
Thanks again,
Colin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 08:56:12 AM »
Colin,

Sorry for the delay, Ive had a very busy few days.
I think I have followed your instructions correctly. The problem did reproduce and I attach the log file for your information.

Thanks for the log.  Your search string in the Find and Replace panel isn't the same as the search string you entered into the Find panel.  They both have the word Aidan, but the Find and Replace version also has a return/enter character after it.  If you put your cursor after the 'n' of Aidan, and use the delete key (not the backspace key, but the delete key that deletes characters to the right of your cursor) then the extra character will be deleted and the Find and Replace will work fine.

PM doesn't trim whitespace around your words because if it did then you wouldn't be able to find and replace when whitespace matters.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Colin Robinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 04:36:07 AM »
Duh!
I must have some how left that invisible character int he field somehow.

Thank you, kind Sir.
Colin