Author Topic: Ingest error on tagged images with PM on MacOS High Sierra  (Read 43497 times)

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
Ingest error on tagged images with PM on MacOS High Sierra
« on: September 06, 2017, 03:27:35 AM »
PM works pretty fine in MacOS High Sierra... Running the beta build for a while now. There is only one strange thing, PM seems to be unable to ingest tagged (locked) images running High Sierra. Probably an issue caused by PM. Ingest files with Lightroom or the MacOS build-in application do work normal. Maybe good to pay attention to this in future builds of PM.

Cheers,
Lars

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:07:43 AM by LarsSmook »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest tagged images with PM on MacOS High Sierra
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:44:39 AM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »
Here you go...

Cheers,
Lars

(good to notice, on this machine MacOS High Sierra installed for about 24 hours. So the errors are logged since today, I experience this since the first MacOS High Sierra build on my test machine).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 01:10:55 PM »
Here you go...

Cheers,
Lars

(good to notice, on this machine MacOS High Sierra installed for about 24 hours. So the errors are logged since today, I experience this since the first MacOS High Sierra build on my test machine).

Looks like an odd permissions/access control issue:

failed to rename '/Import/20170906/.tmp_b490100000000001.nef' to 'LJKS20170906-52186.nef'

Files are allowed to be created in that location, but not renamed once created.  What is '/Import' and what kind of permissions do you have on it?

-Kirk

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 03:28:39 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Import is a folder located on Macintosh HD, I got read and write permissions on it. I created a new folder on the same location and named it Import2, it asked for my system password so it seems that I got on the new folder read and write rights as well. I started a new ingest and selected the option Copy Locked Files Only, it gave me 24 errors, the amount of locked images on the XQD-Card. Created a new log and putted a screenshot of the folder rights.

Edit: I did the above test again and created a new destination folder located on the desktop, with the exact same result.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:06:08 AM by LarsSmook »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 04:21:07 PM »
If you create a file in one of these folders and then try to rename it, can you rename the file without having to enter a password?

-Kirk

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:58:21 PM »
Yes it's not a problem to create a file and rename it. It's even possible to import de tagged images with photoloader (MacOS application) to this location. If I try to rename files directly on my XQD-card it is possible to rename untagged images, tagged images are showing a lock sign, I have to unlock them first to be able to rename them. But this is not new in High Sierra, this is exactly the same in the current version of MacOS (Sierra).

cheers
Lars

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 11:37:22 AM »
Hi Lars,

I wasn't able to recreate the issue you're having in Photo Mechanic build 18729 on macOS 10.13 Beta (17A360a). If you're comfortable with using the Terminal, I would like for you to run the following commands in a Terminal window:

Code: [Select]
ls -leR /Import2/ > ~/Desktop/output.txt
find /Import2/ -type f -flags +uchg > ~/Desktop/output_locked.txt
After running the above commands, please send me the following files located on your Desktop:

• output.txt
  • output_locked.txt

Thanks.

-Jerry
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:39:26 AM by Jerry H »

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 11:49:16 AM »
Here are the files... I did a new test, did a clean install of High Sierra from a bootable USB (Build 17A360a), did a new install of Photo Mechanic. Created a new import folder on a few locations (Macintosh HD, Documents and Desktop), in all cases I get the mentioned error. Maybe it has to something to with the way Nikon camera's lock the files, I really have no clue.

The output files looks empty to me? Is this right?

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 11:59:05 AM »
The output.txt file shouldn't be empty if any files had been successfully copied, including temp files. Had you changed the destination directory name to something other than 'Import2' after the clean install?

-Jerry

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »
Try the following commands replacing 'directory_path' with the current destination folder path for the parent directory:

ls -aolR directory_path > ~/Desktop/output.txt
find directory_path -type f -flags +uchg > ~/Desktop/output_locked.txt
Thanks,

-Jerry

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:10:09 PM by Jerry H »

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »
Did what you asked...

Used this terminal commands:
ls -aolR /Import > ~/Desktop/output.txt
find /Import -type f -flags +uchg > ~/Desktop/output_locked.txt
It generates two files, one is empty, the other has some information.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 02:41:20 PM »
Thank you for the files.

I would like to schedule a time where we can do a shared computing session with you to try and figure out what's causing the problem. I'll send you a personal message with the details.

-Jerry

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
I did another clean install from USB, tried it this time on my MacBook Retina. I still have this issue... It's horrible to work with, especially when you have lots of images like i had this weekend with some soccer matches, I forgot about the issue... :( I had plenty more work editing this photos than I planned...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »
I did another clean install from USB, tried it this time on my MacBook Retina. I still have this issue... It's horrible to work with, especially when you have lots of images like i had this weekend with some soccer matches, I forgot about the issue... :( I had plenty more work editing this photos than I planned...

Can I ask why you're using a beta OS for production work?  We haven't released a compatibility statement regarding PM5 and the as yet unreleased macOS High Sierra.

Thanks,

-Kirk