Author Topic: video files  (Read 4882 times)

Offline annee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
video files
« on: July 12, 2017, 02:02:06 PM »
I am using PM 5, build 18729 (fc44301) on a Mac OS Sierra version 10.12.5

We use PM to add IPTC data to all our stills - we would like to use the same workflow for our videographers. Can photomechanic handle video files and if so do you have any best practices suggestions.

Thankyou

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: video files
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:10:09 PM »
I am using PM 5, build 18729 (fc44301) on a Mac OS Sierra version 10.12.5

We use PM to add IPTC data to all our stills - we would like to use the same workflow for our videographers. Can photomechanic handle video files and if so do you have any best practices suggestions.

Video support is limited to the macOS version and the video support is limited to movie types that are a single file format (not AVCHD).

PM does not write metadata to video files themselves--all metadata is written to XMP sidecar files.

Other than the metadata being stored in XMP sidecars, there are limitations.

-Kirk

Offline mpw1950

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 05:08:29 AM »
Is video capability likely to be added to Windows version of PhotoMechanic? As a long time stills user of PM I would like to use a similar workflow as I move into video. I don't really want to make an expensive switch to Mac after a lifetime with, and substantial investment in, Windows.

Martin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:51:46 AM »
Martin,

Is video capability likely to be added to Windows version of PhotoMechanic? As a long time stills user of PM I would like to use a similar workflow as I move into video. I don't really want to make an expensive switch to Mac after a lifetime with, and substantial investment in, Windows.

Video playback will be added in PM7 on Windows.  PM5 and PM6 won't have video playback on Windows.

-Kirk

Offline mpw1950

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »
Thanks Kirk will PM7 include embedding metadata

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »
Thanks Kirk will PM7 include embedding metadata

Possibly, but there's a good reason for not putting metadata in the videos (each change to metadata causes backup software to think the file has changed which can eat up a backup disk very quickly when the video files are large.)

-Kirk