Author Topic: Working with images before ingesting  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Harvey Levine

• View Profile
Working with images before ingesting
« on: September 11, 2017, 06:26:36 PM »
I have to send photos at halftime of sporting events and don't have time to ingest. What's the fastest way to work with the images without ingesting and then ingest later?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Working with images before ingesting
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »
Harvey,

I have to send photos at halftime of sporting events and don't have time to ingest. What's the fastest way to work with the images without ingesting and then ingest later?

You would have to edit right from the card.  We don't recommend this however.

You'll have to enable writing to your card.  http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Files_Preferences

Allow modification of files on Camera Disks ( not recommended ! ): By default, Photo Mechanic will not make any changes to files on a memory device so that if anything ever goes wrong, you'll still have your original untouched files. If you're really, really sure you want to turn off this protection, you can.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Working with images before ingesting
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »
Harvey, the fastest and safest way to edit photos during halftime (unless you are an agency and simply send all the photos wirelessly to a remote editing office) for me has been simply chimping and tagging the photos in camera quickly after an action (goal, whatever). That way, you can just tell PM to ingest "only locked" photos, and you are now working with an already somewhat culled set of photos for quick filing. You can ingest the rest of the photos by doing "only unlocked" after the event if you want to check the rest (if it's something high profile or you need to find specific players for the archive).

Even though PM does not (unless you specifically allow it to, IIRC) write tags and other metadata to the card itself when you browse it (it retains the edits in memory only, which is good for safety reasons), it is still much safer to not edit on your card (I have had a fair share of horror stories of editing directly from the card and the card reader or OS messing up - with Ingest, there is a much lesser change of malfunction even when your hardware goes faulty, since there is much less of file read requests and file operations going on - it simply copies the files - I have had successfuly ingested a card through a faulty reader which messed up reading the files when browsing them directly off the card)

If you have wireless available (WFT transmitter for Canon, similar for Nikon, or an eye-fi card), you could set up a live ingest in PM as well, transmitting for example your jpegs directly from camera to your notebook as you shoot (and preferably, only the locked ones as well, to ease culling later), while retaining raws on the card for later.