Author Topic: Can you disable the clear IPTC shortcut?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline coots

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can you disable the clear IPTC shortcut?
« on: September 12, 2017, 01:55:42 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm new here so hello everyone, big fan of Photo Mechanic.

I'm constantly captioning pictures, but often as I'm typing I will accidentally hit the 'cmd and backspace' button which wipes all the fields I have inputted as it activates the clear button, which as you can imagine is incredibly frustrating. As far as I can tell you can't undo that action. But if you can, then can someone please tell me how? Or failing that can you disable that particular shortcut?

This probably sounds ridiculous but that shortcut is very close to other shortcuts I use whilst typing and it's so easy to hit the wrong key!

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can you disable the clear IPTC shortcut?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »
Matt,

I'm constantly captioning pictures, but often as I'm typing I will accidentally hit the 'cmd and backspace' button which wipes all the fields I have inputted as it activates the clear button, which as you can imagine is incredibly frustrating. As far as I can tell you can't undo that action. But if you can, then can someone please tell me how? Or failing that can you disable that particular shortcut?

There is no undo for a complete clear.  We haven't had others raise this issue before so I'm reluctant to remove the keyboard shortcut that has been in place for many years.

-Kirk

Offline coots

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »
Ok thanks Kirk, I guess I will have to take more care with my typing

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 10:42:27 AM »
What other keystrokes are you typing that require the use of the Command key?

-Kirk

Offline coots

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 02:45:41 AM »
I use Command and a left or right key to jump to the end of sentences when I'm structuring text. At the same time I'm also using the enter key which is just below the backspace key which I'll hit sometimes by accident. I guess it'd be great for me if there was an undo feature.