Author Topic: Video Thumbnails - Unable to Render  (Read 2997 times)

Offline stevecoleimages

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Video Thumbnails - Unable to Render
« on: September 12, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »
I would love to keep using PM & have been for years. Since I started shooting more video these days working with PM is not the solution, drives me crazy to waist time downloading into PM & seeing black thumbnails for my videos. I can see a few thumbnails from a download but not all of them. Please do not tell me the video files are bad, Adobe Bridge sees the thumbnails just fine as well as Lightroom & the mac desktop. Looking for a better software for video files unless someone has an answer.

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18895 (d0ca74e)
Mac: 10.12.6 (16G29)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Video Thumbnails - Unable to Render
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:35:37 PM »
Steve,

I would love to keep using PM & have been for years. Since I started shooting more video these days working with PM is not the solution, drives me crazy to waist time downloading into PM & seeing black thumbnails for my videos. I can see a few thumbnails from a download but not all of them. Please do not tell me the video files are bad, Adobe Bridge sees the thumbnails just fine as well as Lightroom & the mac desktop. Looking for a better software for video files unless someone has an answer.

It would help if you told me what kind of videos they are?  What is the file name extension?  What codec do they use?

-Kirk

Offline stevecoleimages

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »
Thanks Kirk - the reason I did not tell you is it "should not matter"... Lightroom see them just fine, Bridge see them with no issues, Apple desktop sees them and PM does not.... Score is 3 to 0...

Some files are ProRes 422 and others are AVC encoder - 4K

I've tried the same files on my MacPro as well as my new MacBook with same results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:59:56 AM »
Thanks Kirk - the reason I did not tell you is it "should not matter"... Lightroom see them just fine, Bridge see them with no issues, Apple desktop sees them and PM does not.... Score is 3 to 0...

Some files are ProRes 422 and others are AVC encoder - 4K

I've tried the same files on my MacPro as well as my new MacBook with same results.

Any help would be appreciated.

We use an older version of the QuickTime APIs to render videos.  If QuickTime X can't render them, then neither will Photo Mechanic.  We can't switch to a newer video playback framework at this time.  I do not have a workaround for you.

-Kirk

Offline stevecoleimages

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »
Thank you.