Author Topic: Importing metadata from separate file  (Read 2019 times)

Offline kbw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Importing metadata from separate file
« on: September 20, 2017, 08:50:07 AM »
I have a situation where metadata was created and stored in a standalone excel spreadsheet. There is a field in the spreadsheet that corresponds to the filename of each photo. The photos are actually on a separate computer. Is there a way to automatically import the metadata and associate with each photo, or at least a way to semi automate the process? There are about 3000 records. Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:52:20 AM by kbw »

Offline kbw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Importing metadata from separate file
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »
Perhaps I could generate my own xmp files directly from the spreadsheet or from ms access, and then import. Has anyone else tried this? Any special issues to watch for?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:41:56 AM »
Photo Mechanic users do this sort of thing all the time with Code Replacement and the IPTC Stationery Pad.  No need to craft XMP files.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Code_Replacement

Basically you export your Excel spreadsheet as a tab separated text file, then open it up with a UTF-8 savvy text editor (to correct any characters that Excel didn't deal with correctly, usually accented characters).  Then add that file to your Code Replacements.

Then in the IPTC Stationery Pad you use Code Replacement with the {filename} variable in various fields that pertain to the metadata you have in your file.  You would need to open up the folders containing the images, select them all, and then apply your IPTC Stationery Pad.  Then your images will have your metadata applied to them.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline kbw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:02:21 AM »
Thanks Kirk, much appreciated. This is for a proposed project... I might have more questions later, but it does sound like this will work!  :)