Author Topic: Canon 7D Mk II images not marked as "protected" on Contact Sheet  (Read 3132 times)

Offline cpbeyers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Canon 7D Mk II images not marked as "protected" on Contact Sheet
« on: September 15, 2017, 08:38:55 PM »
I shoot a Canon 7D Mk II and often use the "Rate" button to protect images on my camera. I cannot find any symbol or other marking after Ingest on the Contact Sheet to indicate which images are "protected". None of my images are either tagged or selected. So, what am I missing in PhotoMechanic (e.g., something I should see or some option I should turn on) or does PhotoMechanic not recognize a "protected" image from this camera model? I have the latest version of PM (Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18895 (d0ca74e)). None of the files are marked as locked (or anything else) on my iMac (macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6).

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Canon 7D Mk II images not marked as "protected" on Contact Sheet
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 01:07:04 AM »
Are you sure you have the camera set up correctly? Newer Canon models have an option in their menus what the Protect/Rate button does, either 1-5 star rating or protect (locking the file). All the protect button (with Protect selected as above) does is lock the file at filesystem level (as a Read Only / Locked attribute), this should be visible even in Finder if you browse the card directly in Finder. If you have the protect button set to star rating, the rating should still be visible in PM on jpeg files, although obviously some functions (like Ingest only locked files) would not work with it since they rely on the Locked state. At least that is the way it works on my Canon cameras, I don't have a 7DII to check with.

Mind you, checking with 5DmkIII raw files, the star rating is saved in a standard way only on jpeg files by the camera, on raws, it is saved probably in the makernotes, I cannot see the star rating even with exiftool (and PM cannot see it as well).

So, if you shoot raw, please double check you have your camera set up with the Protect button set to Protect (Lock), instead of Rate. Star ratings are so far only visible in PM (and Adobe and other software) on Canon jpegs, not Canon raws.