Author Topic: makee indication of upload persistent?  (Read 5422 times)

Offline dusty

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
makee indication of upload persistent?
« on: September 30, 2017, 03:08:38 PM »
I found a post from 2014 that implies it is deliberate that if you close PM then the green indicator showing that photos have been uploaded is lost.

Is that still the case?

I would find it really valuable to to able to know when shots were uploaded from PM even after I have shut down PM.  I had a case last week when my laptop powered down, forcing a re-boot and I struggled to figure out without lots of cross-referencing which of the images I had already uploaded...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: makee indication of upload persistent?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 05:12:17 PM »
I found a post from 2014 that implies it is deliberate that if you close PM then the green indicator showing that photos have been uploaded is lost.

Is that still the case?

Yes.

I would find it really valuable to to able to know when shots were uploaded from PM even after I have shut down PM.  I had a case last week when my laptop powered down, forcing a re-boot and I struggled to figure out without lots of cross-referencing which of the images I had already uploaded...

Please use the logging feature of the Upload system.  You can refer to your log files at any time.  No searching for little green boxes that way.

-Kirk

Offline dusty

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »
Thanks Kirk.  Back to RTFM for me re log files :)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
Logging is quite simple, actually. You just need to check the checkbox to enable it in Upload dialog, select a common directory to store the upload logs, and there you go (if on Mac, I suggest iCloud documents or another cloud accessible folder for easy checking on the go away from your main computer). Log files are simple txt files in year month date format in the filename, and if you are using Mac, you can just do a spotlight search for the suspected filename of the uploaded photo, and if the folder the logs are in is indexed by spotlight, it will pop up. Being simple txt log files, they are very small, two years of logs for me takes just under two megabytes...

Being just super simple small text files, I generally leave the option on all the time, comes handy if I need to check with the client whether the fault they can't see the uploaded photos is on my side or their media management server side (usually the latter :) ).

Added bonus of it is if you upload same photos to multiple clients - you can still get all the info from the logs, when the green box would tell you it uploaded just for the latest upload.

For me, simplicity is the key here - until PM gets Cataloging, any saving of what files where uploaded to which ftp server and when would need either a central catalogue of sorts or saving the info in the folder itself (not optimal for the long run). When PM gets cataloging finally, I guess it would be a nice feature to possibly integrate upload logs into the catalogue, especially if you could combine them somehow with job tracking and Job/Client screen/variables (possibly by matching the ftp server). Until then, simple log files, saved in user defined central location, readable by any text viewer and operating system are the simplest, thus the best for me. Sure, it would be nice for the indicators to be persistent, but if you take into account you can upload one photo to multiple locations, and where could the persistent info be stored, the current state just works for me :)

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
In some situations, it might be helpful to apply a saved Stationery Pad to uploaded files that appends the {today} and/or the {now} variables (or variants) into the caption field. If you did this multiple times it could record every time you uploaded a file.

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits