Author Topic: Round Robin Photo Mechanic and Capture One Metadata (Color Class & star rating)  (Read 2873 times)

Offline DominicJames

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi,

I use PM to do my selection, then pop those images into a new folder called Selects. In Capture One, I only use the Selects folder to process the images from a shoot. I also use Bob's Preference file so my color and star ratings match Capture One's, which helps a lot. To date I've not had to go back the other direction to redo a selection but this morning I find I need to on an older folder of selects from a shoot before I synced up the color class and star ratings and when I open the folder in PM I'm not seeing these color class or star rating that had been applied in Capture One. How do I get them to appear in PM, I've tried refreshing but nothing changes.

Thank you.

Dominic

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Dominic,

I use PM to do my selection, then pop those images into a new folder called Selects. In Capture One, I only use the Selects folder to process the images from a shoot. I also use Bob's Preference file so my color and star ratings match Capture One's, which helps a lot. To date I've not had to go back the other direction to redo a selection but this morning I find I need to on an older folder of selects from a shoot before I synced up the color class and star ratings and when I open the folder in PM I'm not seeing these color class or star rating that had been applied in Capture One. How do I get them to appear in PM, I've tried refreshing but nothing changes.

I don't know how C1 tracks/updates metadata changes.  If it only imports from XMP and then updates in its own database, then PM isn't going to see those changes.  Check with the C1 documentation and see if there is a way to synchronize metadata changes back to the images.  Once the XMP in the images (or an XMP sidecar file) are updated then I expect PM to be able to see those changes and update them as well.  Once updated in PM, you may have to force C1 to synchronize them again with its database.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline DominicJames

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks Kirk,

Will take a look and let you know.

Basically, C1 needs to be able to output metadata changes so that PM can read the changes, correct?

Dominic

Offline DominicJames

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Solved it!

In Capture One, select the images you want to sync the metadata changes made within Capture One such as color class and star ratings. Go to the 'i" tab for Metadata, go to the three horizontal dots on the Metadata sheet and select "Sync Metadata", this writes the updates back into the RAW file (I'm not using a XMP sidecar file). Then back to PM and open up the contact sheet for the folder of images or Refresh the contact sheet and the colour class and star ratings are now visible! Superb, now I can do my super fast selecting in PM, and switch back and forth between C1 and PM keeping the same Metadata in sync.