Author Topic: Files Displaying Out of Order  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Gary Cosby Jr.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Files Displaying Out of Order
« on: October 03, 2017, 02:52:43 PM »
I am using a Macbook Pro using 10.10.5 (OSX Yosemite) and PM version 5 build 18895 (d0ca74e)

Since my last upgrade to the program which is the current version I believe, my contact sheets are not displaying images correctly. They display out of order no matter whether I display by capture time or filename.

I also have a problem when changing image cards that images from the previous card display where the current card's images should be. If I scroll over these incorrectly displayed files one at a time the display updates to show the current card's images.

When I am enlarged to look at single files and scroll either forward or backward, the display skips images.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Files Displaying Out of Order
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 04:16:09 PM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Gary Cosby Jr.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 06:28:14 PM »
Okay, I have attached the file. I hope that is helpful.
And thanks! This is unnerving when working on a football edit on deadline.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
Gary,

Okay, I have attached the file. I hope that is helpful.
And thanks! This is unnerving when working on a football edit on deadline.

I'm not seeing anything obvious in your logs that would explain what's happening to you.

I'd like to see a screenshot of the images sorted incorrectly.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

As for switching cards, how are you doing the switch?  Are you ejecting/unmounting the card such that the volume disappears in the Finder prior to inserting your new card?  Are you opening a new contact sheet tab or are you reusing a tab and forcing a rescan?

As for the image skipping in the Preview window, what resolution are the photos (you mentioned 'enlarged' and I'm wondering if you mean that you're zoomed in at 100% or greater)?  What is your Memory cache set to in PM's Preferences?  More isn't better for PM5.

-Kirk

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Gary Cosby Jr.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 06:32:26 AM »
Okay, here is a bit more info. This happens when reading from a card. I have not seen it happen when reading from files stored on my computer hard drive.  I am using SanDisc 32G Extreme Cards and SanDisc 16G Extreme Pro cards. I have two card readers - both USB 3.0 models - and both do this.

I have never touched the cache so it is factory default. Honestly, not even sure where to look for that.

I always eject the image card before unmounting and wait for the icon to disappear from the screen. PM opens a new contact sheet whenever I insert a new card. All I meant by "enlarged" is when I click on an image to enlarge it from the contact sheet. The images are not zoomed. I scroll through images like this a times and PM drops images - meaning there are images on the contact sheet view that are not showing up when I scroll through images at full size viewing.

Attached is the screen shot. I have the sort set to Capture Time. The images at the top of the sheet should be displaying at the end of the football shoot. The images of the people and the images of the tables are from two different assignments shot on different days and they are intermixed with the football pictures. I have also tried using the Filename for a sort option and the situation does not improve.

This has been happening for about two, maybe three weeks and the problem seems to be getting worse. I have reformatted my cards multiple times during this time frame and even a first assignment after reformatting can come up with out of order images. To be clear, the only thing that seems to have changed is the PM update. I have used these cards and card readers before the update without this problem. I wish I could give you a specific time when I last updated PM but, unfortunately, my memory is not that good.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 08:57:52 AM »
Gary,

Contact support@camerabits.com and arrange for a time to run a TeamViewer session with one of our techs.  They should be able to troubleshoot this problem with you effectively.

Thanks for the screenshot.  I noticed that your thumbnails are half resolution on your Retina display.  This can be improved in both the Contact Sheet and the Preview window by changing the "High DPI Display Quality" to "Best".

-Kirk

Offline Gary Cosby Jr.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 06:49:14 PM »
Thanks very much for the help!