Author Topic: Rename fields to be used separately  (Read 3216 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Rename fields to be used separately
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »
I quite often use the file rename option but it gets annoying that whenever I change the rename settings in the standalone file rename tool (CMD+M) also the file rename settings get overwritten in the Save as dialog too. I never use the same rename strings in the two places as I have completely different schemes I don't even understand why on Earth one overwrites the other that is on a completely different and (seemingly) unrelated dialog screen.

Is it only a bug or is it possible to untie the two fields with some settings?

I would prefer to have and keep settings the same all the time in one place and keep them different but always the same in the other dialog and if I change one of them not to have the other changed too. It is really annoying this way and needs a lot of unwanted extra work from me. I don't like to work instead of programs...

I hope you have a solution for this.

OSX Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18980 (60d39ba)
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rename fields to be used separately
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »
I quite often use the file rename option but it gets annoying that whenever I change the rename settings in the standalone file rename tool (CMD+M) also the file rename settings get overwritten in the Save as dialog too. I never use the same rename strings in the two places as I have completely different schemes I don't even understand why on Earth one overwrites the other that is on a completely different and (seemingly) unrelated dialog screen.

I would prefer to have and keep settings the same all the time in one place and keep them different but always the same in the other dialog and if I change one of them not to have the other changed too. It is really annoying this way and needs a lot of unwanted extra work from me. I don't like to work instead of programs...

I have no solution or workaround for you at this time.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 02:38:05 AM »

-Kirk

I hope you will change this behaviour in the near future. It makes me crazy and I don't see any point to it working this way.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:59:49 AM »

I hope you will change this behaviour in the near future. It makes me crazy and I don't see any point to it working this way.

Without also adding a preference to keep the old behavior, many more people may be upset at the loss of the 'feature'.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 12:19:35 PM »

Without also adding a preference to keep the old behavior, many more people may be upset at the loss of the 'feature'.

-Kirk

I can't really imagine a use case why this behavior would be needed, but I believe you. I would be fine with making this updating optional - but forcing the two different types of file name changes to overwrite each other's settings seems to me rather a bug not a feature.
Anyway. I hope you will change this at least making it optional.
Allways shooting RAW.