Author Topic: Edit Menu  (Read 5163 times)

Offline charlessiegel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Edit Menu
« on: October 20, 2017, 08:44:35 AM »
In Photo Mechanic, How do I change the "edit photos with" dialog box show it shows updated software?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Edit Menu
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:48:42 AM »
Charles,

Please have a look at http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Launching_Preferences

See "Assign Specific Application to File Type:" specifically.

-Kirk

Offline cspell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 11:19:37 AM »
Kirk,

What you are saying is an option, but it's not what Charles was asking.  I have the same issue as Charles.

When I right click (two finger click on touchpad) on an image and select "Edit photo with" I see this:

I've recently upgrade my Aurora HDR 2017 to Aurora HDR 2018.  Both are installed and both should show up in this menu.  I see no way to get PM5 to update this menu and give me the Aurora HDR 2018 option for editing.  I have no desire to make Aurora the default by using  your suggestion as I want photoshop to remain my default editing app if I just select "Edit photo'.

So the question remains, How do we update this menu with the latest software that is installed on our Mac?  And for that matter how do we get it to recognize other software that it isn't seeing?  I also have Affinity Photo and Capture One 10 which does not show up in this menu.  Although I'm not sure Capture One 10 should show up.

However, really shouldn't it pretty much show what the system dialog box shows when you select "Open With"?  Here's all my options when I do that:

There are a lot of image editing options for me that are not showing up in PM5.  I generally want to use either Photoshop which is the default or Luminar or Aurora 2018 which doesn't show up now that I've updated the 2017 version to 2018.  So now I have to go to the finder and find the directory and then select open with and open it in Aurora 2018.    Not exactly a time saving process.  The "Edit photo with" should at least show all the image editing programs installed or have some option where we can add programs to this menu would be nice.  I know I can use "Reveal in Finder" if I'm looking at the contact sheet view which is helpful.  But the "Reveal in Finder" option is not there if I'm viewing a single image in preview.  In fact "Reveal in Finder" seems to be the only option missing from the same menu when view the contact sheet.  But that's another issue... :-)

My PM version is:  Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18980 (60d39ba)
MacOS is: 10.13

Thanks for your time,
Chris

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 12:51:13 PM »
Chris,

The "Edit photo with" should at least show all the image editing programs installed or have some option where we can add programs to this menu would be nice.

That menu is not populated automatically.  Photo Mechanic provides a method for you to customize that menu completely.  (And I suspect that you did customize it in the past but have forgotten how you did it.)

Please have a look at http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Launching_Preferences

See "Assign Specific Application to File Type:" specifically.

Assign Specific Application to File Type: Click ‘Set...’ to assign different file formats to different applications. You might like to use Photoshop as the default but also set ImageReady to open GIFs and a particular RAW Converter to process NEF files. These options are shown when using the right-click context menu option on photos in the contact sheet: ‘Edit Photos with’. You can also use "Custom Editor" slots to be able to assign External editors as options that appear when you select 'Edit photos with..." from the menu.

If you have done the above (clicked on the Set... button and have edited your list of applications for each file type) and it still isn't working for you, please contact our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline cspell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 04:47:10 PM »
Ah, the answer is: Go to preferences, then to Launching, then click the set button where it says "assign specific editing applications for each file type:".  And here's the important part:  Scroll ALL THE WAY down to the bottom and add your apps under "Custom Editor #X:"  There you can add or update your custom apps.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 01:02:26 AM »
Exactly :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl