Author Topic: Issue with the "Edit In' function with Capture One [5.0.18040]  (Read 5180 times)

Offline xplatinum

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Issue with the "Edit In' function with Capture One [5.0.18040]
« on: October 23, 2017, 04:59:57 AM »
When I select multiple images (let's say 5) and try to "Edit In > CaptureOne.exe", only 2 (and sometime a just 1) gets sent to the import dialog of C1.

I have tried dragging the same 5 photos directly on the C1 window from Windows Explorer and they all appear in the import dialog so this leads me to believe it's an issue with how PM sends the pictures.

Edit: Not sure if it matters but all 5 photos are in the same folder (no sub-folders).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:44:22 AM by xplatinum »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Issue with the "Edit In' function with Capture One [5.0.18040]
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »
When I select multiple images (let's say 5) and try to "Edit In > CaptureOne.exe", only 2 (and sometime a just 1) gets sent to the import dialog of C1.

I have tried dragging the same 5 photos directly on the C1 window from Windows Explorer and they all appear in the import dialog so this leads me to believe it's an issue with how PM sends the pictures.

Edit: Not sure if it matters but all 5 photos are in the same folder (no sub-folders).

Try selecting the same files in Windows Explorer and choosing "Open With... CaptureOne" from the contextual menu (right-click on the selection).  If the same thing happens, then the fault is with Capture One.  PM is doing the same thing that Windows Explorer does.

-Kirk

Offline xplatinum

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:18:28 AM »
I do not have "Open with" in the contextual menu when I select more than one photo in Windows Explorer.

edit- as a workaround I associated NEF files with C1 and did Open while having 5 selected. Only a single one appear in the import dialog.

That's probably why it doesn't work. You can't pass files to C1 via Open/Open With. Has this ever worked? Because from what I experienced, using open/openwith command with the default application opens them in different instances. If Paint is associated with NEF files, it would open 5 instances of paint. In this case C1 catches the first one that opens and then since the dialog is already open it prevents the other ones from coming through. There must be a way to code it so that C1 receives the 5 files together and not one after the other.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:25:46 AM by xplatinum »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:53:38 AM »
I do not have "Open with" in the contextual menu when I select more than one photo in Windows Explorer.

edit- as a workaround I associated NEF files with C1 and did Open while having 5 selected. Only a single one appear in the import dialog.

That's probably why it doesn't work. You can't pass files to C1 via Open/Open With. Has this ever worked? Because from what I experienced, using open/openwith command with the default application opens them in different instances. If Paint is associated with NEF files, it would open 5 instances of paint. In this case C1 catches the first one that opens and then since the dialog is already open it prevents the other ones from coming through. There must be a way to code it so that C1 receives the 5 files together and not one after the other.

PM only has access to what the OS offers for directing files at another application.  Sounds like Drag and Drop is a good workaround.  Have you tried asking the C1 folks why their application cannot open a list of files sent to it at once?  Perhaps something could be fixed on their end.

-Kirk

Offline xplatinum

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »
I opened another support case with them.

Does PM have any other methods at its disposal to pass a list of files to C1 other than the current one? Like emulate drag/drop for example. I'm not familiar with coding, sorry if this makes no sense at all :)

I will report back once C1 gets back to me.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
I opened another support case with them.

Does PM have any other methods at its disposal to pass a list of files to C1 other than the current one? Like emulate drag/drop for example. I'm not familiar with coding, sorry if this makes no sense at all :)

I will report back once C1 gets back to me.

It is possible to simulate drag and drop, though things get complicated when a 32-bit application interacts with a 64-bit one (PM is 32-bits, and I expect that C1 is 64-bit.)

-Kirk

Offline xplatinum

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:24:50 AM »
Correct, C1 is 64-Bit.

Quick question on the side. Sometime my contact sheet keeps flashing. Like, all the photos are blank and they flash one after the other in no particular order. Is this a known issue? The only way to resolve the issue is restarting the application.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
Correct, C1 is 64-Bit.

Quick question on the side. Sometime my contact sheet keeps flashing. Like, all the photos are blank and they flash one after the other in no particular order. Is this a known issue? The only way to resolve the issue is restarting the application.

When it happens again, before quitting, in Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline xplatinum

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 05:00:02 PM »
PM only has access to what the OS offers for directing files at another application.  Sounds like Drag and Drop is a good workaround.  Have you tried asking the C1 folks why their application cannot open a list of files sent to it at once?  Perhaps something could be fixed on their end.
-Kirk
I'm waiting to hear back from C1. I created a video of the issue for them. I'll share it here for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbjIEFf8IfQ