Author Topic: Problem with "save as" function  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Harvey Levine

• View Profile
Problem with "save as" function
« on: October 25, 2017, 09:00:27 PM »
I have a folder of images sized at 1240 px X 640 px 300 dpi and saved in Photoshop at a setting of 10. The folder is 8.7 mb. I'm trying to add a watermark and downsize to 1240 x 640 @72 dpi and a setting of 8. If I run a batch action on Photoshop, the downsized folder is 4.7 mb. When I try to do the same thing using PM's save as function, the folder is actually larger at 10.1 mb. I have attached a screen shot of my settings.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem with "save as" function
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 10:45:18 PM »
Harvey,

I have a folder of images sized at 1240 px X 640 px 300 dpi and saved in Photoshop at a setting of 10. The folder is 8.7 mb. I'm trying to add a watermark and downsize to 1240 x 640 @72 dpi and a setting of 8. If I run a batch action on Photoshop, the downsized folder is 4.7 mb. When I try to do the same thing using PM's save as function, the folder is actually larger at 10.1 mb. I have attached a screen shot of my settings.

Turn on "Subsample Chroma" and you should get smaller file sizes.  At quality 10, Photoshop is subsampling chrominance.  The DPI is irrelevant.  The images will still be 1240x640 in either case.

If you want to limit file sizes, use the "Limit file size to:" feature, (set your quality slider all the way down to the left, enable "Subsample Chroma") and enter a file size that when multiplied by the number of files you're processing equals that 4.7MB size and PM should be able to hit it.

HTH,

-Kirk