Author Topic: Problem with Clearing Cache on Quit  (Read 7588 times)

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem with Clearing Cache on Quit
« on: October 30, 2017, 06:21:18 AM »
Hi! I've searched for this problem, but did not find one (similar) - I have set up that when I quit Photo Mechanic, the Cache gets cleared. And when I quit Photo Mechanic, the Clear Cache seems to stuck - I just get stuck in the middle of proces and I have to force close it. Especially problematic if I want to reset or shut down computer.

If I do it manually, from the Preferences Menu, everything is okay.

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18980 (60d39ba) on MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) running macos high sierra 10.13.

(nothing serious, I know, but it still bothers me)

Best,
Jure

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem with Clearing Cache on Quit
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
Hi Jure,

I'm unable to recreate the problem that you're having with clearing PM's disk cache on quit.

Please post a screenshot of your Photo Mechanic Caching preference settings dialog.

I'd also like to see your Photo Mechanic log file. In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply and there you'll be able to upload your PM_log.zip file.

Thanks,

-Jerry

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
hi Jerry,

here are the things you asked for, hope they are helpful. If you need anything else, let me know.

p.s.: just unchecked/checked the Empty Disk Cache on Quit, restarted it in between - problem still here. Attaching also printscreen of the "problematic window".

Best,
Jure
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:02:12 PM by DizzyReed »

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 11:10:40 AM »
Hi Jure,

Your Cache settings in Photo Mechanic look fine. It appears as though Photo Mechanic may be hanging up when processing the cached files for the Preview window. I would like for you to run a command in the Terminal that will print the size of PM's cache directories, when you're able to recreate the problem, and then quit Photo Mechanic. This will tell me if the cache files are being processed and it's just taking a while, or if Photo Mechanic is locked up.

1. Run Photo Mechanic like you normally would to recreate the problem.

2. Open the Terminal application (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) then paste the following command:

Code: [Select]
for i in {1..60}; do du -sh ~/Library/Caches/Photo\ Mechanic/cache/*; date; sleep 1; done >> ~/Desktop/output.txt
3. Hit the Return key to run the command.

4. Quit the Photo Mechanic application (don't force quit).

5. Wait one minute for the Terminal command to finish.

6. Post the output.txt file that was created on your Desktop (~/Desktop/output.txt).

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply and there you'll be able to upload your output.txt file.

Thanks,

-Jerry
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:14:39 AM by Jerry H »

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 12:10:03 PM »
Hi Jerry,

hope I got it right. One thing I have noticed - for the last couple of times when I quit Photo Mechanic, it does not hang anymore, but it still takes quite some time for the process to finish (I remember that it used to be much quicker, maybe a second or two, now it takes ten seconds maybe?).

Offline willievass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 05:35:12 PM »
I'm also experiencing this behaviour with High Sierra, just updated to 10.13.1 and the problem persists on both desktop and laptop macs.
The empty cache dialog takes anywhere from 15-30 seconds to complete.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 06:15:18 PM by willievass »

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 11:13:59 AM »
Thank you both for your files.

It doesn't appear that Photo Mechanic is locked up. However, the delete cache process is taking longer than expected.

We'll continue our investigation.

-Jerry

Offline Whitesnake

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »
Hello, I have the same issue in Mojave too. But I have experienced too:

PM is running in the background on my first workspace and Capture One is running on the second workspace. When I quit PM and switch to Capture the PM icon in the dock is jumping because PM is trying to clear the cache during shutting down. But if the PM windows is not active it doesn't finish the process. When I switch so my second workspace with Capture One I have to go back, otherwise the PM icon in the dock would jump forever.

Are there some news about this issue?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 05:56:28 AM »
Hello, I have the same issue in Mojave too. But I have experienced too:

PM is running in the background on my first workspace and Capture One is running on the second workspace. When I quit PM and switch to Capture the PM icon in the dock is jumping because PM is trying to clear the cache during shutting down. But if the PM windows is not active it doesn't finish the process. When I switch so my second workspace with Capture One I have to go back, otherwise the PM icon in the dock would jump forever.

Are there some news about this issue?

No.  This is the first that I have heard about this issue.

If the PM icon is bouncing in the dock, it is because it must be showing some UI that needs your attention and you need to see what it wants from you.  You'll have to switch to it and take care of the dialog that is requesting your attention.

-Kirk

Offline Whitesnake

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 07:05:33 AM »
The attention PM needs is to empty the cache. Why isn't PM doing it in the background? I have now disabled this process. It's since MacOS 10.13.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 08:09:33 AM »
The attention PM needs is to empty the cache. Why isn't PM doing it in the background? I have now disabled this process. It's since MacOS 10.13.

Well, I'm sure that it is because it is written to do so.  If emptying the cache takes more than 1.5 seconds then it displays a progress dialog until it finishes.  That dialog is probably what is causing the bouncing icon in the dock.

-Kirk