Author Topic: Upload indicators in contact sheet & cancelling upload  (Read 3450 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Upload indicators in contact sheet & cancelling upload
« on: November 03, 2017, 06:31:04 AM »
Hello, when in the contact sheet, the upload indicators show very nicely what has been uploaded and what not. The manual states that:
A blank rectangle indicates that the photo has been queued, but hasn’t been sent yet. A yellow rectangle indicates that the photo is being uploaded. A green rectangle indicates that the upload is complete. A red rectangle indicates that a failure of some sort has occurred while uploading the photo

When I actively cancel and upload, the photos that were still uploaded show correctly the green indicator, the ones that were incompletely uploaded show the red indicator, but the rest of the photos that were queued but got cancelled show the blank indicator.

Should they show this one, or the red indicator for failure? Both are IMHO valid, but the blank indicator might be confusing if you have multiple concurrent uploads and cancel just one. You can't tell if the files are still queued, or they god cancelled.

IMHO all the files that did not upload, whether because they got cancelled in the middle of an upload (and are incomplete on the server) or did not get to the upload queue before the cancel command should show red as well. Because they are not queued anymore, and unless you do a new upload on them, they will not get ever uploaded. Might make it easier to distinguish quickly from the contact sheet the files that got cancelled from those that are just waiting to get uploaded in another upload task.

But that's just my opinion about UI, that's why I am writing this in the general discussion to discuss what others think :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Upload indicators in contact sheet & cancelling upload
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 08:02:22 AM »
Hello, when in the contact sheet, the upload indicators show very nicely what has been uploaded and what not. The manual states that:
A blank rectangle indicates that the photo has been queued, but hasn’t been sent yet. A yellow rectangle indicates that the photo is being uploaded. A green rectangle indicates that the upload is complete. A red rectangle indicates that a failure of some sort has occurred while uploading the photo

When I actively cancel and upload, the photos that were still uploaded show correctly the green indicator, the ones that were incompletely uploaded show the red indicator, but the rest of the photos that were queued but got cancelled show the blank indicator.

Should they show this one, or the red indicator for failure? Both are IMHO valid, but the blank indicator might be confusing if you have multiple concurrent uploads and cancel just one. You can't tell if the files are still queued, or they god cancelled.

IMHO all the files that did not upload, whether because they got cancelled in the middle of an upload (and are incomplete on the server) or did not get to the upload queue before the cancel command should show red as well. Because they are not queued anymore, and unless you do a new upload on them, they will not get ever uploaded. Might make it easier to distinguish quickly from the contact sheet the files that got cancelled from those that are just waiting to get uploaded in another upload task.

But that's just my opinion about UI, that's why I am writing this in the general discussion to discuss what others think :)

I think what really should happen is that the ones that never got beyond being queued should simply have their status cleared.  Unfortunately, once you cancel the upload, no further status is provided by the uploader (it has been stopped) and thus the status remains.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:40:04 AM »
I think what really should happen is that the ones that never got beyond being queued should simply have their status cleared.  Unfortunately, once you cancel the upload, no further status is provided by the uploader (it has been stopped) and thus the status remains.
-Kirk

I see. Clearing the status completely would be IMHO bad for workflow - frequently I cancel an upload because I just realise some mistake in the caption process, switch networks or something like that, and it is good to have a lingering indication what files I have to upload again (after correcting the mistake or whatever). Having it cleared completely would go against that. It's just that IMHO the queued indicator is a bit ambiguous in that. Although having a red "upload failed" indicator on cancelled files might be ambiguous as well...

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »
I agree that a sticky upload status would help if at all possible. If I lose the network or somehow have to restart, I have no idea what went and what didn't... which files need to be restarted. I could tag or color mark files I intend to send, but in the frantic mess of trying to get back to the action that doesn't happen. So some way to see what was queued would help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:13:47 PM »
Sounds like leaving things be the way they are is the way to go.

-Kirk