Author Topic: Cannot add folder to Ingest List  (Read 2618 times)

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
Cannot add folder to Ingest List
« on: November 04, 2017, 07:30:04 AM »
My SD card reader stopped functioning; perhaps after a Windows 10 update since another SD card reader also failed to be recognized. I reverted to using a cable connection to the camera (Canon SX260). Windows 10 recognized the directory presented by the camera (appears as a portable device rather than as a USB removable storage device). Using the Ingest Folders/Add menu, I could see/select the directory, but after clicking Select Folder, the directory does not appear in Source Paths list. Thinking this might be a Windows 10 problem, I tried the procedure on my Windows 7 machine, but the same problem occurred. To test if this were camera specific, I tried it on a Nikon Coolpix P610 and it too failed. However, using a Sony CyberShot WX350, I was able to add an image folder to the list. I never completed the ingest assuming that if I could add a directory, it would work.

For the time being I am using drag and drop within Windows to transfer photos, but it would be useful to use the PM ingest to consolidate directories into a single directory.

I am on the latest version of PM5.0.

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot add folder to Ingest List
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
Hi David,

Some cameras present as a USB storage device and others as a portable device.  If it is the latter, "normal" file system stuff does not work on a windows machine.  You might check your cameras settings to see if there is an option.

I will note that with my two Canon's, I can only transfer from the camera using Canon's software as niether PM nor Windows see them as a USB device.

Jerry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 01:11:50 PM »
David,

My SD card reader stopped functioning; perhaps after a Windows 10 update since another SD card reader also failed to be recognized. I reverted to using a cable connection to the camera (Canon SX260). Windows 10 recognized the directory presented by the camera (appears as a portable device rather than as a USB removable storage device). Using the Ingest Folders/Add menu, I could see/select the directory, but after clicking Select Folder, the directory does not appear in Source Paths list. Thinking this might be a Windows 10 problem, I tried the procedure on my Windows 7 machine, but the same problem occurred. To test if this were camera specific, I tried it on a Nikon Coolpix P610 and it too failed. However, using a Sony CyberShot WX350, I was able to add an image folder to the list. I never completed the ingest assuming that if I could add a directory, it would work.

For the time being I am using drag and drop within Windows to transfer photos, but it would be useful to use the PM ingest to consolidate directories into a single directory.

If the card doesn't get assigned a drive letter (on Windows) then PM isn't going to work with it.

PM doesn't use any of the 'multimedia' APIs in Windows to acquire images and it isn't likely that we will do so.  My suggestion is to find a quality card reader that works with your OS.  Or check with the manufacturer of your card reader and see if they have an updated driver that works properly with your OS.

-Kirk

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
Thanks for the explanation. I will continue using my workaround or until I can find a solution for the SD card readers.

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 05:51:26 PM »
Good news. I just downloaded the latest Windows 10 major update and the SD card reader is working again as a lettered drive. This means ingest also works directly from the SD card and there is no need to connect the camera to a USB port.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 06:54:04 PM »
Excellent!

-Kirk