Author Topic: cleaning and managing keywords  (Read 4874 times)

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
cleaning and managing keywords
« on: November 09, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »
Hi, another question for today, related to keywords management: what is the best practice to remove a few identical keywords from a set of selected images (i.e. a keyword path has been attributed by mistake to a set of images and needs to be removed)? Getting a bit lost into keyword functionalities of PM.

Another thing: i am not sure but it seems to me that a few days ago, in the structured keywords panel, while searching for keywords imported from a controlled vocabulary, I was getting suggestions from the system before typing in the complete word. This is not working today, i might have inadvertently deactivated this functionality (unless i am confusing with another software as i am testing quite many raw processors these days in addition to PM). Is there a way to reactivate it?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: cleaning and managing keywords
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 02:33:27 PM »
Hi, another question for today, related to keywords management: what is the best practice to remove a few identical keywords from a set of selected images (i.e. a keyword path has been attributed by mistake to a set of images and needs to be removed)? Getting a bit lost into keyword functionalities of PM.

I'd suggest using the Find panel to search, then use the IPTC Info to edit on the selection of found images.

Another thing: i am not sure but it seems to me that a few days ago, in the structured keywords panel, while searching for keywords imported from a controlled vocabulary, I was getting suggestions from the system before typing in the complete word. This is not working today, i might have inadvertently deactivated this functionality (unless i am confusing with another software as i am testing quite many raw processors these days in addition to PM). Is there a way to reactivate it?

This is the documentation for Autocomplete: http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Autocomplete

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 08:09:48 AM »
Thank you for your help Kirk.

then use the IPTC Info to edit on the selection of found images.
So it means it has to be done one picture at a time?

Autocomplete
The autocomplete functionality is now activated to come into play after 2 letters are typed in, but is it supposed to work also for keywording? It does not seem to work, while looking for words which I know are in my controlled vocabulary list.

Another thing also: i have added multiple keywords to pictures at once by selecting the "apply to selected" option. Keywords are then visible in the preview mode. But when pictures are imported into Capture 1 (I am considering to develop a new workflow with PM and C1 instead of Lightroom), I see there that the picture is just tagged with the last keyword in the chain, while I can still see the full tree structure for keywords in C1 keyword panel. Do you (or anyone else reading this...) how comes all keywords in the path are not tagged to the picture when looking at the photo in C1?

thanks again
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:27:04 AM by guill69f »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 12:05:12 PM »
Thank you for your help Kirk.

then use the IPTC Info to edit on the selection of found images.
So it means it has to be done one picture at a time?

You could try Find and Replace and replace with nothing and see if that works in bulk.

Autocomplete
The autocomplete functionality is now activated to come into play after 2 letters are typed in, but is it supposed to work also for keywording? It does not seem to work, while looking for words which I know are in my controlled vocabulary list.

What part of the UI are you doing this?  Please post a screen shot if you're not sure.

-Kirk

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 01:13:36 PM »
You could try Find and Replace and replace with nothing and see if that works in bulk.
Works great, thanks. Is there a way also to clean all pictures from all keywords? How would you do that?

What part of the UI are you doing this?  Please post a screen shot if you're not sure.
I am doing this in the structured keywords panel, which I open from the Image menu.
In the screenshot here I typed in "horse" and I don't get any suggestion for autocomplete (i confirm also that "horse" is in the controlled vocabulary list -see the second picture)

Regarding my last point, i have done some tests in Digikam, Lightroom and FlickR since my post.
Digikam and Capture One are alike:
- Capture One: the keyword structure is detected and imported into its keywords panel, but only the last keyword of each path is assigned to the pictures. When the RAW files are exported as JPG, keyword structure is kept but only the last one in the patch seems attached to the pictures
- Digikam: I use it to catalog JPG exported from Capture One. Keyword structure is retrieved but only the last one one of each path seems assigned to the picture (same as Capture One)
- FlickR (case 1): when pictures are sent to FlickR, either after being processed in Capture One or catalogued in Digikam, only the last keyword of each path will be exported, everything else is lost

- Lightroom: my test in Lightroom: keywording in PM, import in LR. All keywords in the path are there, and when i push the picture to FlickR, all keywords in the path are there, which makes it much easier to do searches there.
Is there a way to get to the same result working with PM and Capture One, if you know?

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 01:15:27 PM »
ooops. sorry for the size of the pictures  :o

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »
Works great, thanks. Is there a way also to clean all pictures from all keywords? How would you do that?

Do you mean across your entire file system?  If so, there is no way to do that.

I am doing this in the structured keywords panel, which I open from the Image menu.
In the screenshot here I typed in "horse" and I don't get any suggestion for autocomplete (i confirm also that "horse" is in the controlled vocabulary list -see the second picture)

Regarding my last point, i have done some tests in Digikam, Lightroom and FlickR since my post.
Digikam and Capture One are alike:
- Capture One: the keyword structure is detected and imported into its keywords panel, but only the last keyword of each path is assigned to the pictures. When the RAW files are exported as JPG, keyword structure is kept but only the last one in the patch seems attached to the pictures
- Digikam: I use it to catalog JPG exported from Capture One. Keyword structure is retrieved but only the last one one of each path seems assigned to the picture (same as Capture One)
- FlickR (case 1): when pictures are sent to FlickR, either after being processed in Capture One or catalogued in Digikam, only the last keyword of each path will be exported, everything else is lost

- Lightroom: my test in Lightroom: keywording in PM, import in LR. All keywords in the path are there, and when i push the picture to FlickR, all keywords in the path are there, which makes it much easier to do searches there.
Is there a way to get to the same result working with PM and Capture One, if you know?

I'm not sure why Autocomplete wouldn't kick in on that field.

We keyword according to the XMP standard.  Lightroom also follows that standard.  As for the other applications, it sounds like they are not compliant.

-Kirk

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 01:44:18 PM »
thank you for prompt feedback. No more questions...

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 06:50:31 AM »
Hi again,

i tried earlier today to import a thesaurus into PM through the structured keywords panel, and things did not go as planned, as I have now many entries I can't use in the panel (see picture). Is there a way to erase at once all keywords that can be selected in the structured keyword panel? I tried to reset PM following the steps pinned in the forum, but everytime I started a new instance of PM it retrieved the keywords which I'd like to see gone...

I have like 100+ undesirable entries, so if there is a possibility to remove them all at once

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »
Hi again,

i tried earlier today to import a thesaurus into PM through the structured keywords panel, and things did not go as planned, as I have now many entries I can't use in the panel (see picture). Is there a way to erase at once all keywords that can be selected in the structured keyword panel? I tried to reset PM following the steps pinned in the forum, but everytime I started a new instance of PM it retrieved the keywords which I'd like to see gone...

I have like 100+ undesirable entries, so if there is a possibility to remove them all at once

Thanks

Whoa.  Looks like you imported an HTML file.  The Structured Keywords data is just a text file (UTF-8 encoded Unicode text) and can be edited more directly with a text editor.  If you want to post the file here (use the Save button to save to a new file) I'll edit it and remove that junk.  Then I'll post the fixed version which you'll then use the "Load" button to replace the entire structure.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 01:38:44 PM »
Hi Kirk

Looks like you imported an HTML file
Actually it's a text file (.txt) but with apparently HTML code inside.

If you want to post the file here (use the Save button to save to a new file) I'll edit it and remove that junk
Here it comes then as attachment. But if it is a too long job, no need for you clean it up, there are other lists I could use in that case. I am interested in this one because English keywords are also available in French, but i can alternatively do my translations in the other file (might take some time though)

you'll then use the "Load" button to replace the entire structure
so that's the way to get rid of all this undesirable entries I know have... I just tested with another list and it just worked perfectly. No need to look too far sometimes, when simple solutions are around the corner...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »
Here you go:

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile