Author Topic: Showing images not yet imported into LR  (Read 3623 times)

Offline lyndsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Showing images not yet imported into LR
« on: November 07, 2017, 02:39:58 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently using the trial of Photomechanic, to decide whether it will add value to my workflow. In terms of speed I can see a lot of potential, but I'm not finding it particularly intuitive to use at the moment.

Is there anyway of seeing photos I have ingested using photomechanic, but not yet imported into LR? I've imported photos into an existing folder, and I'm not sure if there is any way of viewing them without having it show the rest of the photos in that folder.

In an ideal world I'd like to use photomechanic as a holding bay as such, showing only shoots i have yet to shortlist. Once i've imported keepers into LR and deleted duds I would then like to remove the images from photomechanic. This would therefore make it obvious to me what shoots I still need to shortlist, without me maintaining a list elsewhere.

Is this possible? Or is there a better workflow i'm missing?

Thanks (and sorry if it's really obvious!)

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Showing images not yet imported into LR
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 03:42:14 PM »
The way I do this with my concert shoots is to ingest my Raw photos with Photo Mechanic into an Incoming folder. (I have PM send them to subfolders within Incoming by sortable date format.) I do my rating and culling to find the images I like.  Once I delete the rejects, I select-all and drag to Lightroom.   In Lightroom's import dialog, I choose the MOVE option to send photos into their final resting place (the LR filesystem) and so they automatically disappear from the Incoming folder (and thus from that PM Contact Sheet as well)

Other note:

I have a saved Contact Sheet in Photo Mechanic's Favorites pane that opens all the Incoming subfolders as one single Contact Sheet (If I get backed up and need to power through multiple shoots at once.) This way I don't have to go hunting down stray folders.

I hope this helps.

-Mick

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:48:15 PM by MickO »
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline lyndsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Showing images not yet imported into LR
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:10:27 PM »
A belated thank you!

There are still a few bits I can't figure out, but its speed alone is making me want to persevere, I'm slowly getting there