Author Topic: I’m probably being really dump - XMT  (Read 6699 times)

Offline Fleabane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I’m probably being really dump - XMT
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:11:30 PM »
Well the clues in the title - so apologies in advance

I’m an absolute beginner to PM and I’ve just installed in and endeavoured to view my first batch of images

However they are all showing as XMT files - so no pictures to see when looking at the contact sheet - so what setting, plonker mistake have I made - any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks all

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: I’m probably being really dump - XMT
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 07:57:05 AM »
Are you sure you're browsing a folder containing images?  I have never heard of an XMT file before.  Perhaps you meant XMP?

There are no settings in PM that would force it to not show supported file types as images.

-Kirk

Offline Fleabane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:06:05 AM »
Sorry I do mean XMP - and yes they are not displaying as images - yet all taken from my camera SD card

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
Sorry I do mean XMP - and yes they are not displaying as images - yet all taken from my camera SD card

If you view the same folder containing the XMP files with your OS (Finder or Windows Explorer) do you see images along with the XMP files?

-Kirk

Offline Fleabane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:43:09 AM »
Just checked they are all XMP files in the folder, no images, yet the SD card only shows images

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:46:21 AM »
Just checked they are all XMP files in the folder, no images, yet the SD card only shows images

OK, so I'm a bit at a loss here since I can't see what's going on with your system, but if you browse a folder containing images, PM should show them.  If you browse a folder containing nothing but XMP files, PM is going to show an "XMP icon" as the thumbnail because the image that goes with it doesn't exist.

-Kirk

Offline Fleabane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »
Okay, I might give this a miss, disappointing as I’d read really good things, and had hoped it was me being stupid. But if I can’t use MP to read images on an SD card to sort - that I can see when not viewing through PM - I’m not sure it’s much help - unless I’m completely missing the point?

Offline Fleabane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »
I’ve had a further play and the issue seems to be when I set the destination drive, for the ingest task, as an external hard drive. If I set it for the internal drive, all the images transfer. Can PM not be set to store images on an external HD?

Many thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 12:33:25 PM »
I’ve had a further play and the issue seems to be when I set the destination drive, for the ingest task, as an external hard drive. If I set it for the internal drive, all the images transfer. Can PM not be set to store images on an external HD?

That is unusual, PM should work with virtually any drive that you can mount on your computer as long as the OS supports it.  What kind of external HD are you using and what OS are you running PM on?

-Kirk

Offline Fleabane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »
Weird isn’t it, I’m running Windows 10 and using a LaCie Rugged Drive 2tb - but just suddenly thought I use the drive between my Wacom MSP and my MAC and I have installed software on the Windows 10 machine to enable read write on the drive as formatted for the Mac. All my other editing programmes have no issues but could this be the stumbling block for PM?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 06:36:48 PM »
Weird isn’t it, I’m running Windows 10 and using a LaCie Rugged Drive 2tb - but just suddenly thought I use the drive between my Wacom MSP and my MAC and I have installed software on the Windows 10 machine to enable read write on the drive as formatted for the Mac. All my other editing programmes have no issues but could this be the stumbling block for PM?

Sounds like it, yes.  I wouldn't trust any non-native disk formats myself.  For file sharing between two OSes, I'd rather use a Network Attached Storage drive.

What software do you use to emulate the macOS file system?

-Kirk

Offline Fleabane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 01:45:51 PM »
Thanks Kirk - let me check - I’m not at home currently - I’ve also ordered a new external drive just for using PM - will let you know if that works and solves the issue ????

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »
Thanks Kirk - let me check - I’m not at home currently - I’ve also ordered a new external drive just for using PM - will let you know if that works and solves the issue ????

I suggest NTFS as the filesystem if you're going to format it for Windows use.

-Kirk