Author Topic: find duplicates without "A" suffix  (Read 4899 times)

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
find duplicates without "A" suffix
« on: November 16, 2017, 03:21:57 AM »
Continuing a gargantuan tidy of sloppy ingests.  I have opened a number of folders as one contact sheet.  Because duplicates have been in two separate folders they do not have "A" "B" "C" suffixes to indicate duplicate status. Is there any way to find these ?  apart from the obvious checking one by one ?   

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: find duplicates without "A" suffix
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
Continuing a gargantuan tidy of sloppy ingests.  I have opened a number of folders as one contact sheet.  Because duplicates have been in two separate folders they do not have "A" "B" "C" suffixes to indicate duplicate status. Is there any way to find these ?  apart from the obvious checking one by one ?

I'm sorry but I can't think of an automated way to do that.

-Kirk

Offline timesnaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 11:31:22 AM »
What about a search that uses any or some of the following parameters:

- file size (bytes of the file on disk)
- dimensions (pixel x pixel)
- capture date

Thats should go some way to search for duplicates I imagine, as its unlikely images have the exact same file size. Perhaps add something like the average RGB value of the center of the image... I am just wondering.

Offline bfeinzimer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 11:21:26 AM »
What about a search that uses any or some of the following parameters:

- file size (bytes of the file on disk)
- dimensions (pixel x pixel)
- capture date

Thats should go some way to search for duplicates I imagine, as its unlikely images have the exact same file size. Perhaps add something like the average RGB value of the center of the image... I am just wondering.

I'd also be curious to see an answer to this

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »
I had a similar problem with lots of files with file name ****a.nef  or ****a.tiff etc. The only way I could get it sorted was a laborious search for files with filename a.nef/a.tif changing the start letter to b, c, d etc. When I found the duplicates I put them in a dedicated directory called "duplicates", my imagination know no bounds:), and then later checked to make sure I was not getting false positives and accidentally deleting the wrong files.

It is a bit of a pain in the 'Glutious Maximus' but if you persevere it can be done. However, if you have a really large number of files like me you may lose the will to live. If this happens a drink of your favorite tipple is a good cure.

Good luck.