Author Topic: support for more file types  (Read 3982 times)

Offline mcasan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
support for more file types
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:23:12 PM »
I use apps such as Luminar and Aurora that have their own native file types.    Any chance we can get those supported to link to editors and get previews on the contact sheets of folders where they reside?

If not can we have a tool to allow up to define new file types that point to editors.....even if the previews are missing on contact sheets?

Olympus E-M1 II & Pro lenses

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: support for more file types
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:04:48 AM »
I use apps such as Luminar and Aurora that have their own native file types.    Any chance we can get those supported to link to editors and get previews on the contact sheets of folders where they reside?

Their formats are proprietary and are undocumented.  Until they are documented or an open source library is provided then PM won't be able to render those files.

If not can we have a tool to allow up to define new file types that point to editors.....even if the previews are missing on contact sheets?

PM already provides the ability to set up ten custom editors not tied to any specific file type.  They should work fine.

-Kirk

Offline mcasan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »
Any way to link those 10 editors to a specific file types?     That would solve the problem.
Olympus E-M1 II & Pro lenses

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 02:37:51 PM »
Any way to link those 10 editors to a specific file types?     That would solve the problem.

Not sure I follow.  You right-click on a file, choose your editor from the "Edit photo with" submenu.  It should work.

We have no support for the file types you requested (no editor 'plugin' for them) so there is no way to map them to anything.  They're unknown files as far as PM is concerned.

-Kirk

Offline audimackid

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 12:39:52 PM »
I am just adding my support to being able to preview files from Luminar and Aurora. I understand the problem that the file formats are proprietary and undocumented. Perhaps we (users of Photo Mechanic) can ask Macphun (Skylum) about providing the needed information.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 10:31:01 PM »
I am just adding my support to being able to preview files from Luminar and Aurora. I understand the problem that the file formats are proprietary and undocumented. Perhaps we (users of Photo Mechanic) can ask Macphun (Skylum) about providing the needed information.

I suggest that you do that.  Definitely.  If they get enough requests for it from their users then perhaps they will act.

-Kirk