Author Topic: ftp stalled causing crash  (Read 1932 times)

Offline PaulW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Paul Walsh Photography
ftp stalled causing crash
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:31:47 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18980 (60d39ba), on a MacBook Pro late 2016, on MacOS HighSierra 10.13.1

When having some wifi issues, my ftp uploads stalled. I could see on the upload screen the stall, but when the notification popped up saying that the ftp stalled, if I clicked on that notification (top right on screen), then PhotoMechanic would close/crash. I would then have to relaunch Photo Mechanic and try to identify the failed upload and start again. The issue was not the stalling of ftp, but it was the fact that Photo Mechanic closed/crashed.

I have never had this issue before on previous builds of Photo Mechanic.

Any ideas?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: ftp stalled causing crash
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 12:04:10 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 18980 (60d39ba), on a MacBook Pro late 2016, on MacOS HighSierra 10.13.1

When having some wifi issues, my ftp uploads stalled. I could see on the upload screen the stall, but when the notification popped up saying that the ftp stalled, if I clicked on that notification (top right on screen), then PhotoMechanic would close/crash. I would then have to relaunch Photo Mechanic and try to identify the failed upload and start again. The issue was not the stalling of ftp, but it was the fact that Photo Mechanic closed/crashed.

I have never had this issue before on previous builds of Photo Mechanic.

It's incompatibility with the OS that is causing the crash.  To work around the problem disable "Growl notifications".

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Accessibility_Preferences

Show Growl notifications instead of modal alerts where possible: When checked, this feature causes certain modal alerts (for instance Ingest complete messages) to present themselves as Growl notifications. Growl lets Mac OS X applications unintrusively tell you when things happen. It is free software that you can install on your Mac OS X system. You can read more about it here: http://growl.info and download its installer.

Simply uncheck that box and the notifications will no longer appear and the crashing will no longer occur.

-Kirk

Offline PaulW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Paul Walsh Photography
Re: ftp stalled causing crash
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 04:43:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice, but I never had the "Show Growl notifications" on in the first place.

I've updated this morning to Build 19094. Hopefully that resolves the issue. Time will tell.