Author Topic: Help with Variables  (Read 2383 times)

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
Help with Variables
« on: November 27, 2017, 05:16:01 AM »
Hi

I’ve just started sports shooting for a nother agency and they require the names of the main people in the caption, to also be entered in the Key Words and, Persons Shown(?).

To help save me a lot of time, is there a variable that can do this?

Jon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Help with Variables
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:39:39 AM »
Jon,

I’ve just started sports shooting for a nother agency and they require the names of the main people in the caption, to also be entered in the Key Words and, Persons Shown(?).

To help save me a lot of time, is there a variable that can do this?

If you entered all of the names into "Persons Shown" then you could use the {persons} variable in any other field to expand them.  Whether a simple list of names will be useful in all other locations is not known to me (you didn't provide an example) but you can give it a try.

-Kirk

Offline JonHob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:32:49 PM »
Hi Kirk.

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve tried putting {persons} variable in keywords hoping the two or three names would be picked up from the ‘Persons’ field but the names are not picked up. I did have the names separated by a , though?

There will only be 1-3 names in the Persons Shown field that needs copying to the Keywords.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 07:57:34 AM »
Jon,

I’ve tried putting {persons} variable in keywords hoping the two or three names would be picked up from the ‘Persons’ field but the names are not picked up. I did have the names separated by a , though?

There will only be 1-3 names in the Persons Shown field that needs copying to the Keywords.

Are you setting person names in one pass and then using the {persons} variable in Keywords in the IPTC Stationery Pad and bulk applying them?  Or are you doing something different?

-Kirk