Author Topic: code replace keyword adding to multiple selected photos simultaneously?  (Read 10374 times)

Offline ELinder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Erich Linder Photography
I have been able to properly set up my code replace file for adding multiple keywords and can apply it to my jpg+raw pairs for single files, but I'm having trouble doing the same when I have multiple thumbnails selected at the same time. Bringing up the IPTC info panel lets me do the replace and then save and step to to the next file that's selected, but I want to do this to all the selected files at the same time without stepping thru them one at a time and having to enter the code for each selection. How do I do this to all the files simultaneously with code replace?

I'll be adding keywords to several hundred photos at multi-day equestrian events where I need to select a few consecutive photos at a time for each rider and add their keywords, so using the code replace would be a great time saver if I can get it to apply to all the selected images at the same time.

Thanks,
Erich

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: code replace keyword adding to multiple selected photos simultaneously?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »
I have been able to properly set up my code replace file for adding multiple keywords and can apply it to my jpg+raw pairs for single files, but I'm having trouble doing the same when I have multiple thumbnails selected at the same time. Bringing up the IPTC info panel lets me do the replace and then save and step to to the next file that's selected, but I want to do this to all the selected files at the same time without stepping thru them one at a time and having to enter the code for each selection. How do I do this to all the files simultaneously with code replace?

Bulk metadata application is done with the IPTC Stationery Pad.  Anything you have the IPTC Stationery Pad set to apply will be applied to the selected images.

The IPTC Info dialog only works with single images--it shows you the current metadata for the image being viewed and allows you to edit the data for that image.
The IPTC Stationery Pad doesn't show any particular image's metadata, but it lets you bulk apply the data you enter in the pad to all selected images.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#IPTC_Stationery_Pad

-Kirk

Offline ELinder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »
Kirk,

I'm trying to avoid using the IPTC Stationary Pad for 2 reasons.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't get my code replacements to work when adding the code to the keyword field on the Statinary Pad. The same codes do work in the IPTC info dialog.

Also, having to clear the Pad entries between each selection adds another step. Going thru several hundred photos from each day's event, I'm trying to reduce the number of steps needed as much as possible.

Erich

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »
I'm trying to avoid using the IPTC Stationary Pad for 2 reasons.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't get my code replacements to work when adding the code to the keyword field on the Statinary Pad. The same codes do work in the IPTC info dialog.

What are you entering into the IPTC Stationery Pad?  Can I see an example?

Also, having to clear the Pad entries between each selection adds another step. Going thru several hundred photos from each day's event, I'm trying to reduce the number of steps needed as much as possible.

Have you tried using the Keywords panel?  It applies the keywords you've entered to a set of photos without changing anything else.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View#Keywords_Panel

-Kirk

Offline ELinder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 12:52:44 PM »
I'm not sure what was going on but I updated to the newest version of PM and now the code replace is woking in the Stationary Pad. Thanks for mentioning the keyword panel. I was so focused on using the code replace I missed the obvious.

After playing with it a bit more I think it is a faster way to just create a keyword text file with all the associated keyword strings in each line and import that as a master keyword list. Then using the standard Keyword panel load those and I can quickly scroll up and down the list, click the line with the keywords i need, and apply to multiple selected photos at once.

Erich