Author Topic: since Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: PM 5 looses location for IPTC-Folders  (Read 5995 times)

Offline Micha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Since many years I am using PM5 ... mostly everything is near perfect, a great program!!!

But since the last Fall Creators Update I have this:

All my IPTC-Files are stored in separate Folders in a data-folder on disk C:\

In the past everything was fine, Photomechanic always remembered where the last folder-location was and asked me to store in that folder. Same when loading existing IPTC-Files, Photomechanic asked me to load from the last opened folder ... perfect.

But now, since I have the Fall Creators update ... things changed ... Photomechanic never offers the last folder, even if I am in one longer session during the day ... everytime when I want so save or to load PM-IPTC files I have to manually click through to get to the right folder, this got very uncomfortable now.

I am aware that this could be due to a change in accessing folders in Windows 10 ... but do you have the same behaviour ... or do you have any idea for a workaround?

I am using Windows with administrator account ... since many years ... but my fear is that Windows now prevents that PM remembers the folders?!

Thank you for your help ...

... and nice greetings from Berlin

Micha

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Micha,

Since many years I am using PM5 ... mostly everything is near perfect, a great program!!!

But since the last Fall Creators Update I have this:

All my IPTC-Files are stored in separate Folders in a data-folder on disk C:\

In the past everything was fine, Photomechanic always remembered where the last folder-location was and asked me to store in that folder. Same when loading existing IPTC-Files, Photomechanic asked me to load from the last opened folder ... perfect.

But now, since I have the Fall Creators update ... things changed ... Photomechanic never offers the last folder, even if I am in one longer session during the day ... everytime when I want so save or to load PM-IPTC files I have to manually click through to get to the right folder, this got very uncomfortable now.

I am aware that this could be due to a change in accessing folders in Windows 10 ... but do you have the same behaviour ... or do you have any idea for a workaround?

I am using Windows with administrator account ... since many years ... but my fear is that Windows now prevents that PM remembers the folders?!

What folder does the dialog display instead of your last folder?

-Kirk

Offline damonlynch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
It opens on the Desktop folder, every single time. And it does so after a delay of several seconds, or even longer. Something is clearly wrong. It makes dealing with the IPTC Info window a chore.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Please try this build: http://www.camerabits.com/download/PM5SetupR19093.exe

We have tested it on W10 with the Fall Creators Update applied and it appears to be working well.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline damonlynch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks, it now opens quickly and in the correct location. However, the file open dialog has a visual glitch.  It looks a bit odd above the 'Organize' button. I use the gray theme.

As an aside, do you use GTK+ to render the UI?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Thanks, it now opens quickly and in the correct location. However, the file open dialog has a visual glitch.  It looks a bit odd above the 'Organize' button. I use the gray theme.

I hope you're OK with the visual glitch, because making that glitch go away will return the slow/forgetful behavior.

As an aside, do you use GTK+ to render the UI?

No.  We use MFC and CodeJock SkinFramework on Windows.

-Kirk

Offline damonlynch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Aha, I asked only because of all the GTK+ libraries that are installed. My application renders the UI with Qt 5, but uses gobject introspection to interface with Exiv2.

Interesting app.  PM6 will be using Gtk UIs for the Catalog integration.  I take it your app is written in Python?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:29:43 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Micha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
... sorry, that I did not reply earlier (because I started this thread) ...

Thank you Kirk, now it is like before ... fast ;-)

As always a super - and: fast - support by camera bits, cool.

Nice Greetings
Micha

Offline damonlynch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Aha, I asked only because of all the GTK+ libraries that are installed. My application renders the UI with Qt 5, but uses gobject introspection to interface with Exiv2.

Interesting app.  PM6 will be using Gtk UIs for the Catalog integration.  I take it your app is written in Python?

-Kirk

Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier (perhaps something to do with my reply somehow being merged into yours?). To answer your question, yes my application is written in Python. One day it would be nice to port it to Windows & Mac but for the time being I don't have time to do that.