Author Topic: PM5 capability to display photos edited with On1 PhotoRaw 2018  (Read 5817 times)

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5 capability to display photos edited with On1 PhotoRaw 2018
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:33:39 PM »
Hi,
I am switching to On1 PhotoRaw 2018 as my main and only photo editing software. I want to keep PM5 as my photo browser because it has more capabilities and is faster. However, when I browse folders where some photos have been edited with PhotoRaw 2018, it shows the unedited thumbnail instead of the edited photo.

When will PM5 properly display thumbnails edited with PR2018?

Thanks,

Yvan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 capability to display photos edited with On1 PhotoRaw 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:55:48 PM »
Yvan,

I am switching to On1 PhotoRaw 2018 as my main and only photo editing software. I want to keep PM5 as my photo browser because it has more capabilities and is faster. However, when I browse folders where some photos have been edited with PhotoRaw 2018, it shows the unedited thumbnail instead of the edited photo.

When will PM5 properly display thumbnails edited with PR2018?

Very likely never.  In order for PM to be able to show your edits, PhaseOne would have to give us their rendering technology.  This is unlikely to ever happen.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:12:27 PM »
Very likely never.  In order for PM to be able to show your edits, PhaseOne would have to give us their rendering technology.  This is unlikely to ever happen.

This indeed is very unlikely, what would be a viable way is to ask PhaseOne to update the embedded preview after you edited the image (either manually, e.g. as with Lightroom and DNGs, or via a setting e.g. as with Camera Raw and DNGs).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 06:39:50 AM »
PhaseOne would have to give us their rendering technology.

It wouldn't make any difference if they did. Phase One is known for their medium format cameras and digital backs as well as a software product called Capture One, https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/Software/Capture-One-Pro/Highlights.aspx among a few other things.

The original poster referred to On1 Photo Raw 2018 which is a different product from a different company: https://www.on1.com/blog/announcing-on1-photo-raw-2018/

That said, I still think the answers given are correct. The OP may of course ask the software company to "fix" On1 Photo Raw 2018 to make it replace embedded previews with images created by On1 Photo Raw 2018. Even that may never happen.

--
Odd S.

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 07:42:41 AM »
Thanks Odd for reading properly me post (cf. it was about On1 PhotoRaw 2018 and not Capture One).

I hope Kirk will add a comment to your assumption.

When I used PM5 with Nikon Capture NX2 + Nik Color Efex Pro 3, it always showed properly the edited photos (i.e. the embedded .jpg file).

Similarly, while Windows File Explorer always displays properly the thumbnails of NEF files edited with NX2, it is not the case with On1 files. I'll certainly make a request to On1 since it is a major drawback.

Your comment Kirk?

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 07:53:28 AM »

When I used PM5 with Nikon Capture NX2...

Sure, Capture NX2 embeds updated preview images in .NEFs. I guess that is what you want from On1 Photo Raw 2018 as well. Ask them.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:59:06 AM by Odd Skjaeveland »
--
Odd S.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding, it was a long day yesterday.

Basically what I have to say about any RAW converter that doesn't update the embedded preview in the RAW file that is adjusted is:

We can't render any RAW file with the same image outcome as any RAW converter without having access to their technology.  Methodical reverse-engineering is possible at great expense of time and money and we have neither to devote to this kind of work.

I suggest either using an open format like DNG (whose previews can easily be updated by the RAW converter) or generating JPEG files with the same name as the RAW file in the same folder as the RAW file.  In either case, PM will show you the result you're after.

Getting the developers of the RAW converter to update previews in the original RAW file is not something that is usually attainable.  Virtually all of the RAW file formats are undocumented and developers are loathe to modify RAW files because they may be damaged in the process.

-Kirk

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 09:15:58 AM »
Thank you Kirk for the answer! It is appreciated.